Clearing Roundup from Soil
My husband and I just bought a new house with a nice big lawn. We're planning to pull up a bunch of the grass to make room for a vegetable and flower garden. To our dismay, when we mentioned this to our neighbor, she informed us that the previous owner was an assiduous user of Roundup Weed Killer and had sprayed it over the entire lawn.
I've now read that Roundup becomes "inactivated" when it hits the soil, and so shouldn't affect the growth of our flowers. However, I'm still worried about growing edibles in soil that was treated with this stuff. Is there a specific soil test that I should request to check for this toxin or other common pesticides/herbicides? Does anyone know whether it is safe to grow food in my soil? I'm not really worried about being "certified organic" since I won't be marketing any of my veggies, but I certainly want it to be safe and nutritious for my family and any friends who would eat this food.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!