Ascot Wins the Triple Crown for Me

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)June 4, 2012

I'm so excited by my two Ascot roses which I got bareroot from Palatine last year. They've been in the ground since March of 2011, and they are just unbelievable. At about four plus feet already, Ascot is covered with breathtaking deep burgundy blooms. Its first crown is the bush itself, featuring a nice growth habit, thickly filled in with shiny healthy leaves. The second crown is for the petal packed blooms of deep burgundy. Most have a delicate outer ruffly edge of purple and feature the form of an English rose. I couldn't believe how closely an Ascot bloom matched my new Twilight Zones's first bloom. TZ may be a little darker, but they both have the purple edge. Ascot blooms are bigger than TZs. For the third crown, Ascot blooms don't shrivel in the heat, ball (so far), and last a long time on the bush and in the vase. The blooms have a nice scent, too. Tantau has a real winner with this rose. Diane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Sounds beautiful! Any pics?

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 2:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

Yes, seil, I finally got some rose pics taken---by my fourteen year old granddaughter--ha. And now she has to give me a tutorial on getting the darn things in the gallery. It may take a few days to get my computer deficient brain around it all. For many years I was the family photo taker, plus I used my trusty 35 mm in my work. But a long while back, I put down my camera and said "no more", turning photo duties over to my daughter. Of course, the whole family has digital cameras while I still dwell in the 1980s. Anyway, Ascot is a beauty and deserves some publicity. All the rose photos were taken yesterday--my best show of roses since I've lived here (eight years). Tonight an awful windstorm is going to hit, and there will be damage--I'm sick about it, but glad I got the pics. Diane

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Is "horticultural oil" just mineral oil?
I've been reading about it and am confused. I know...
nonconformist_nymphette
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
Old Rose Seminar, May 2, 2015 San Juan Bautista, CA
By tomorrow, I hope to have this up on the Heritage...
jerijen
What's wrong with my rose bush?
Can anyone please shed some light on what's wrong with...
alyong
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™