Golden Shadows Dogwood Performance

mary4b(4b WI)May 16, 2014

Can you show me yours?

I got one for $35, about 5'. Doesn't have the nicest form and NONE of them did at the store, not like a regular Pagoda Dogwood might have after 3 years in a pot at the nursery. (They told me they've had them that long.)

Question...does anyone have one that actually turns into a nice tree (or shrub) like a regular Pagoda Dogwood? Or....does it sort of just have that gentle, airy & open non-uniform look even after 5 years.

I am trying to decide where to put mine...whether to use it as a "shrub/tree" in the border where it would stand its ground and fill out its space....OR to use it more like an airy accent daintily hovering over a hosta bed. (This 2nd way is the only way I have seen it in photos.)

And if I can ask one more question....could it take a full eastern exposure until 1 pm here in my northern climate?

Thanks everyone...if you have pics, it would be AWESOME!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beng(z6 western MD)

Never heard of it, but yellow-cultivars generally don't do as well as greens in the sun. Even regular pagodas like mine are at their limit in sun-exposure the same as yours (shade after 1 pm). The sun-stress doesn't show up immediately, but becomes apparent in mid-summer to early fall, depending on heat/drought (I water them, but they'll still look a bit stressed). Still, everyday dogwoods on lawns are sun-stressed routinely by late summer, but carry on.

Maybe in cooler WI yours won't be as stressed...

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 11:48AM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

This cultivar does tend to be a little thinner and airy but does have the same tiered habit as the species. I've never seen an older specimen so perhaps they do fill out with time. I have a species tree that is only a few years older and there is a big difference in vigor as you can image vs a golden leaf cultivar.

If you have patience its a nice plant. I'd think eastern exposure until 1pm and then shade there after would be perfect.

Just ensure well drained soil and keep it watered and mulched especially the first couple years.

Right now it looks like golden butterflies dancing among the branches. I'll snap a pic if I remember. I actually have mine in drier soil but it only gets 1-2 hours east sun and then 1-2 hours west sun.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 11:15PM
akamainegrower

I've had 'Golden Shadows' for about 10 years. It does develop into a nice tiered shape over time. It's largely a matter of personal taste, but I think bright direct sun makes the leaves look sickly and bleached out even if the tree can adapt to that exposure. Again, personal taste, but I like this tree much better with mostly light shade for the entire day with maybe a very few hours of direct morning sun.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 6:17AM
mary4b(4b WI)

Thank you! I found a spot with mostly dappled morning sun until about noon..hopefully that will be good.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
Graft incompatibility sugar maple
Recently had a commemoration sugar maple installed...
othertime
Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa
Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak...
poaky1
Beautiful Trees In Bloom Around My Neighborhood.
Here is the Yoshino Cherry Tree(i think) next door....
tlbean2004
How long does it take oak tree leaves to fully grow once they wake up?
When the leaves start to grow on oak trees on any tree...
tlbean2004
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
Sponsored Products
Venetian-Style Floor Lamp
$2,450.00 | Horchow
Free Wheeling Wheels Of Flare Golden Ochre Pendant
Bellacor
Solid Golden Teak Folding Shower Seat
Signature Hardware
Tootie's Peach Pie
$58.00 | Horchow
nuLOOM Handmade Ikat Grey Jute Rug (4' x 6')
Overstock.com
TKO Training Wheel - TKO-AW001
$15.99 | Hayneedle
Couristan Rythmia Transcendence Golden Wheatfield Area Rug - 1418/3000-2.6X4.6
$399.00 | Hayneedle
Loretto Russet Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture
$260.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™