MTD rear drive belt jumps off pulley

jerri_2010July 26, 2010

Hi,

I have a 1993 MTD 600 series 14/42 mower. Recently after shifting between reverse and forward the mower quit moving. I discovered the rear drive belt had jumped off the pulleys (between the transmission and idler) and was pretty chewed up.

When I put on a new belt the ride was very jerky both when accelerating and when braking. After a short test drive the new belt also jumped off the pulleys in the same location.

I do notice that the idler pulley, which sits on a bracket, appears out of alignment with the transmission pulley (by approximately 1/8 - 3/16"). I don't know if they are supposed to be exactly aligned or not.

Is this most likely the problem? (If so, how should I proceed? Can I just force the idler into alignment or do I need to remove the idler bracket and bend it, OR?????).

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

You could in theory tweak the bracket, but it doesn't seem that uncommon. A few things to check: Look for excessive slop in the transmission pulley or idler arm itself or possibly for a brake that isn't releasing right away. How does the idler pulley seem and does the variable speed pulley center move freely? These transaxles also need to be secure both where they mount to the frame and front torque brackets as well. The actual model # from under the seat may help.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
Tecumseh throttle governor help?
Ssnow blower, not tractor question, but I'm hoping...
mbsl98
Can you identify this Muffler?
I obtained this muffler a while ago, but have no idea...
rodco
Looking at a John Deere X300 to purchase
I sold my Power Kraft (finally) after a persistent...
Alberti
old mtd lawnflite chain drive?
Hey I just bought and old riding mower and lo and bohold...
mtdlawnflite
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek Hard Starting
I am another of the seemingly many people fighting...
dreamoftheflood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™