Returning roots in flower bed

rtharmonJuly 2, 2011

I have a flower bed near my house that keeps getting over run with roots. To build the flower bed I dug out the existing soil about 8 inches down as the area seemed to have a lot of weeds and rocks. I then filled with garden soil, peat moss, & some compost. The first year was fine. The next year when I went to re-plant some annuals I found a bunch of roots growing about an inch under the surface. I pulled out as much as I could and re-added soil. Each year they get thicker. I have tried adding mulch on top but they just grow right thru it. They never break surface and develop into any type of plant. The roots seem to be choking out anything I try to plant. The area is edged with landscaping timber to make it easier to mow. The closest tree is 8 - 9 ft from the bed. Not exactly sure what it is. I have never added chemicals to try to eradicate the roots because I did not want to hurt my plants. Any ideas of what these are and how to get rid of?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

More than likely they're tree roots. If so, you'll have to continue removing them unless you install a sturdy barrier at least 18 inches wide.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 12:55PM
mustard_seeds(4 -Onalaska Wisconsin)

what type of tree is 8 feet away?

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 5:18PM
rtharmon

Thanks for the info. Just seems odd. I have never had flower beds get overrun before like this one. I am not certain of the tree. Something in the locust family maybe.

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 11:55AM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

Tree roots can be a pain in the butt. Lots of plants are adapted to growing among tree roots, if they didn't there wouldn't be any vegetation under trees in the woods.

I've had good luck growing ginger, jacob's ladder, hypatica, and ferns in flower beds that are full of tree roots.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 11:59AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

We have roots from a Siberian(?) elm 30 feet from the treeline.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Seeking help/tips for a raised bed that's out of control with weeds...
Hi there, I have a raised bed garden. 3 years ago,...
toomanyaccounts
Frozen compost
Ok so the deep freeze here in nj is not letting up...
jrupjr
how would one add / help mycorrhizae
On another thread (very long and informative - why...
louisianagal
Post hole filled with compost for deep soil conditioning
I am trying to find a way to fix my soil as deep and...
taylorjonl
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™