briggs 49m77-1321-g1 (craftsman ypt9000) - short in efm module?

aarabianJuly 15, 2010

I have a Craftsman YPT9000 with the B&S extended life engine. I have a persistent ground short (pops fuses) and seem to have isolated it to the EFM module. I isolated it by:

1. Removing the left and right connectors inside the EFM module

2. Disconnecting the second lead on the middle molex connector within the EFM (goes to some kind of cylinder on the absolute front of the engine that has some sort of wire pushrod going to it - not sure what it is).

At that point I have 12V leading in to the EFM module, ground return through the middle connector and nothing else. If I turn the key to the "run" (not start) position, POP goes the fuse.

So, it seems to me its the EFM module BUT - am I missing something else obvious? I just feel skeptical that this solid state circuit board thats all potted in has suddenly developed a short...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

There is service directive on these that may help. I've not had the pleasure of working on B&S EFI yet. Go to the below link. Public log in is voed_schools / briggs . Click on the 1st selection under Technical info tab and enter your model #. Be sure and let us know how it turns out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Briggs

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
What happened???
I logged in yesterday after a prolonged absence and...
romore_gw
Tractor starter-wrong rotation.
As I have been known locally as a lawn tractor fixer,...
rustyj14
transmission clean and do not overwork
I have a Dumb question about that phrase. Exactly what...
krnuttle
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek Hard Starting
I am another of the seemingly many people fighting...
dreamoftheflood
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™