Pink slime inside dead Elm from property next to a gas station

colinp123May 7, 2012

Hi All,

My neighbour, who lives next to a gas station, recently cut down some dead trees along the shared property line. We suspect, given the fact that the gas station has been around since the 1920s, that the ground is contaminated and the trees have soaked up decades worth of oil, gas, diesel, and other fossil fuels and made the inside of the tree pink. I've posted a link to some pics below.

Can anyone confirm if this is in fact gas? Would anyone know the name of the disease? Is this the likely reason for the tree's death? It was an old Elm tree..... (no, it's not likely beetle-borne Dutch Elm disease).

http://imgur.com/a/i5cNP

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Slime

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

chain saw bar oil???

do you have any scientific proof of these comments:

that the ground is contaminated and the trees have soaked up decades worth of oil, gas, diesel, and other fossil fuels and made the inside of the tree pink.

or do you just have a consensus of whomever you are talking about in the plural?? .. or is this the royal WE???

ken

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:34PM
arktrees(6b NW Arkansas)

IMHO,
While there MAY be in fact contaminates that may or may not have had something to do with the trees deaths, I don't believe that is what you are seeing here. If you note in your pictures that the center of the wood seems to be discolored darker and appears to be "wet". Also note that the pink coloration seems to be on the edge of that wet looks, or seems to be associated with decay in some photos. This leads me to believe this is a product of the process of breaking down the wood. MANY microorganism are colored, or produce or excrete pigments when certain conditions are meet. Fungi, Slim Molds, Cyanobacteria are all frequently to typically colored, and all would have members that would be very happy in the conditions of a decaying tree trunk.

Just my $0.02
Arktrees

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 2:24PM
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

I think Arktrees is on the right track. The effect os called spalting, and woodworkers sometimes like to use such wood.

The link below shows red spalting in box elder wood

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 5:22PM
wisconsitom

I believe we are looking at box elder. Every one I've ever cut into, and that's a lot, has this red coloration.

+oM

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Can anyone ID this wood? (firewood)
It burns very slowly. It's perfect for nighttime, and...
laura242424
Beautiful Trees In Bloom Around My Neighborhood.
Here is the Yoshino Cherry Tree(i think) next door....
tlbean2004
Please help me identify this tree???
I have searched everywhere and can NOT find the name...
Terry Whitehead
Fast growing trees in zone 8 or 9 Houston tx
We want to add trees in with our very old live oaks...
johnfam
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™