Own root vs grafted...again

cherrykist(Z-7 NC)June 5, 2012

Are there any such cases in which grafted roses would be better than own root? For example I have heard that florist roses do better grafted than on own root. (I am trying to get my hands on a Red Intuition) I am also wanting a New Dawn but I want to make sure it will be successful on own root.

Tammy O.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zack_lau

Yes, grafting to a nematode resistant rootstock may be advisable in areas with moist, sandy soil--it is such a common problem in some areas that there are nurseries that specialize in selling roses grafted on "Fort" or Fortuniana. Fortunately, it isn't an issue in New England, as Fortuniana can't take our winters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose diseases in North Carolina

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 9:17AM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

There are definitely roses that need the added vigor a rootstock provides. They tend to be roses where the automatic default when they were introduced was grafting, so they never had to produce as own-root plants. Older hybrid teas often fit that description. New Dawn does not.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 11:57AM
taoseeker

It has all to do with climate, soil and care. I doubt any hybrid tea does better ownroot in areas with cold winters and shorter growing season. The rootstock gives the plats a head start in spring and gives more robust plants. Much the same for most floribundas, modern climbers and shrubs with a lot of hybrid tea in them. There are always exceptions, and they are always (if I dare say always) the hardy strong growers. There is very little really good research on this fore many areas, mostly because it takes a lot of effort, time and money to do so; not to mention behavior of different rootstocks. I have family in France, and by the riviera there they can root any rose and it grows and flowers fine, I cannnot. Even robust rugosahybrids are known to grow taller on canina roots than ownroot, but they usually don't need the extra growth. A suitable rootstock can for examople make a rose do better in challenging situations like alcaline soil.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 12:30PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

New Dawn will be fine own root. In my area, hybrid teas do best when grafted, especially grafted on R. multiflora rootstock. Hybrid teas are puny on their own roots, although a friend has a nice sized own-root Hot Princess.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Chyrsler Imperial
Planted last year.
deervssteve
Is my new rose bush dying?
I just planted 3 new bushes in my front yard.. 2 of...
bruin27
High Country Roses review: pics of what my order looked like
HCR was so good with my order, I feel the need to 'pay...
laura242424
Teasing Georgia as a pruned shrub
So I have been reading on here about growing TG as...
kingcobbtx9b
Beauty of Glazenwood
Starting to bloom. Tough to photograph. Picture taken...
deervssteve
Sponsored Products
Schonbek Trilliane Collection 25" Wide Crystal Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Americana Home 1 Drawer Nightstand - 114-400
$370.00 | Hayneedle
New Washed Out Ivory Chobi Peshawar 8'x10' Hand Knotted Real Pakistani Rug H3792
BH Sun Inc
Best of British Hamper - N/A
$150.00 | Horchow
Tay Tay Chrome One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Habanero Glass
$175.50 | Bellacor
Faz Extra-Large Pot
FRONTGATE
Fuchsia & Gray Dora Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Hampton Bay Outdoor Lanterns. Outdoor Seville Bronze Wall Mount Lantern
$34.99 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for: