Shasta Daisy Wilting Question

gardengal11(Zone 7)July 21, 2011

Hi,

Earlier this summer I bought a potted Shasta Daisy. It was beautiful when I bought it. Now, the plant (leaves and stems) looks healthy, but the flowers bloom and wilt extremely quickly (I don't really even have time to see a nice crisp flower. Maybe once in a while, but again it wilts quickly). Anyways, this plants gets sun about 4 hours a day because of trees and the way my house sits. Does anyone have an idea to why my plant is doing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

tip it out of the pot.. and find out if it is severely root bound

and let us know ... or better.. give us a pic of that

it has to be a water issue .. so you are either not watering enough .. or the roots are having problems ...

tell us about how you water it .. how big it is in relation to the pot .. and how the roots look

ken

ps: the other option is that it simply hates you ... so get rid of it..

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 4:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Totally agree with Ken. Usually store-bought plants are in dire need of repotting when you buy them. If all you've done is look at yours, it's probably pretty bad-off.

The soil may also have become so dry that it's hydrophobic. Try setting the pot in a saucer of water for a few hours. If all of the water disappears, keep adding more until it stops disappearing. Repotting can help fix this, too. Stay away from peat as potting soil.

The expression "fresh as a daisy" isn't meaningless. Individual daisy flowers don't last long - a day or two. Cutting off dead flowers is a daily task if you want these plants to look good. Next year, you might prefer the daisies in the ground and something more tidy in your pot(s).

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
daves10
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™