Cub Cadet 1045 Mower problems

sfhill(c PA)August 1, 2014

On a Cub Cadet 1045 w/46" deck. When I pull the switch to start the mower to run, it runs fine. Then when I start to mow in forward direction, the mower switch stops the mower from turning. This happens each time I start the mower to mow. After several tries, it might stay running for a longer period of time. There is no extra vibration anywhere. Any ideas what to look for. Possibly the switch? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcbe(6)

simplest things first:
1) make sure you have the "RevTech" feature on the ignition sw. panel prooerly engaged. Then attempt to operate the tractor as you have described.
The reason for this is your forward /reverse drive pedal is a relatively sensitive single "rocker" pedal - and you my be unwittingly momentarily tipping it toward reverse which will immediately shut down the deck. Having the RevTech feature engaged will eliminate this from happening.
2) if prob still exists, remove batt, take to qualified shop and have it Load tested. A marginal battery can sometimes cause intermittent PTO problems.
3) Beyond that, suggest getting qualified shop help. The related control circuitry is somewhat complex and is best diagnosed/repaired by qualified personnel.. mho. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:29AM
tomplum

If your mower has the mow in reverse feature, engage that and see if the problem continues. It is common on these that the harness for the reverse switch (in behind the Right rear wheel breaks and then the tractor thinks it is in reverse when the wire shorts itself.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:37AM
gewf631(Chicago NW Burb)

By, "...the mower switch stops the mower from turning...", do you mean than you switch-on the mower, and the engine bogs-down and stops? Or is it more like simply shutting-down the tractor?

If the former, then maybe the engine is cold and you need to use a little more choke until it warms-up.

If the latter, then I concur with the other suggestions.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 8:56AM
More Discussions
Just throwing this out there...
Been thinking of starting a Facebook page on small...
snuffyinatl
Tuff Torq K46 Tranny
I've been reading many of the posts on this site and...
tuco
New Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine never needs an oil change
Wonder what Taryl at the Grass Roots Garage would have...
txtom50
Craftsman FS 5500 clutch issue.
With the engine running, when attempting to drive forward...
mrgizmos
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek Hard Starting
I am another of the seemingly many people fighting...
dreamoftheflood
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™