Which is best B&S motor: Intek, Platinum or Pro?

milacqua(z7 TX)August 1, 2010

I'm thinking of buying a riding mower for my less than acre, flat lot. I have had a Sears hydro 3000 for several years and like it a lot but I'll keep it at my girl friend's house for when I have to cut her yard and just buy me a new one.

I have it pretty much boiled down to 42" models - Husqavarna with 22hp Intek, Craftsman YT4000 with 24hp Platinum and Craftsman Professional with 24hp Pro. I am considering many factors such as one model has a floating deck that I think would be best, another has foot directional control (which I prefer to fender control), tire size, price, weight, etc. One factor I want to also consider of course is the motor but I don't know a thing about them other than they are all twins. I'm sure they will all perform if maintained and probably outlast the rest of the tractor but does anyone know the real difference among these motors and which one is recommended? BTW, any comments concerning my choices of tractors overall would also be most appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
walt2002

I wouldn't pay much attention to the designations,they are mainly marketing. I think if you check the model numbers, you will find that they all are 40 or 44 series so not a much difference.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 8:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larso1(So. CO Zone 5)

Also, I would go with 46-in min. deck and 48-in if you have the storage space. Really does make a difference in mowing time and allows trimming next to edgings much easier since the deck sticks out beyond the wheels. Those brands offer relatively new 46-in 2-blade deck if it's the number of blades you're concerned about....3-blade on the 48-in. size.

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
New Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine never needs an oil change
Wonder what Taryl at the Grass Roots Garage would have...
txtom50
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch...
cowgirlrose55
Can you identify this Muffler?
I obtained this muffler a while ago, but have no idea...
rodco
John Deere 445 EFI wet plugs
Tractor won't start until you remove both spark plugs and...
stone75
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™