Echinacea Seedlings? (pics)

davemichigan(zone 6a (SE Michigan))July 12, 2008

Last year I was given a clump. I gathered some of the seeds after it flowered but only sowed them this year.

I read that the seed leaves should be round and the first true leaf should be pointed. So I think the following four are echinacea seedlings. Would you say so too?

But I also have 3 or 4 seedlings very nearby, and they are confusing me. The true leaves look somewhat like and somewhat unlike echinacea leaves. What do you think about these?

Thank you very much in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
echinaceamaniac(7)

1-4 are echinacea seedlings and the rest are not.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 12:36PM
davemichigan(zone 6a (SE Michigan))

Thanks, EM!

I will pull 5, 6 and similar ones out. I didn't plant anything around the echinacea, so these must be weeds.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 1:41PM
tasymo

Hi Dave!
Do you have a Mulberry tree near you? I agree the top four are Echinaceas, the bottom two look like the baby Mulberries I'm constantly pulling out. Kathy

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 1:52PM
davemichigan(zone 6a (SE Michigan))

Tasymo, I don't think I have mulberry tree. I am bad with names of trees, but I did some search and it doesn't look like I have mulberry.

I have I think are oak trees. The ones whose seeds have wings and land all over the place. I think these seedlings might be those. They look familiar to me before I even grew coneflower, so I didn't think they were coneflower but since I have planted some coneflowers, I thought I should better check before I pull them out so that I won't accidentally kill what I intend to keep. :)

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
flowers of Doc.Martin TV show
I am trying to ID the flowers on the side of the road...
maple_man
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Growing Yucca in container?
I seem to remember a member mentioning they were experimenting...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
daves10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™