Okay for mulch?

cakbu(9)July 26, 2014

I'm going to have some tree work done and wonder if the chipped results would be good for use in my yard. I have a large, dead pecan tree that has to come out. Also have ten eucalyptus trees that need trimming. Would all this be good for mulch after it is chipped? I do need a lot of mulch and would have to buy it if what I have is not useful; I hate to buy if I can recycle what I have. My garden is strictly ornamental...no food crops.

Cheryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Yes ... Tell the arborist that you want them to leave the wood chips, and ask if there's a discount because they don't have to go to the dump.

NOTE: Make a nice bare spot for the chips to go

Shovel and spread. they may start composting themselves, but just keep spreading that lovely almost free mulch.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:09PM
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

Eucalyptus has properties that cause other plants not to grow, and I would not use a pecan that died from a disease. If you know it died from natural causes, then it would be safe.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:17PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Always reuse and recycle what you can, when you can.
One reason to put something down as mulch is to prevent unwanted plant growth. Eucalyptus does have a bit of a reputation for being allelopathic, growth inhibiting which is what mulch is supposed to do. Some people spend fairly large sums of money buying Eucalyptus chips for mulch.
If that Pecan tree did die of some disease it most likely will not affect other plants, unless it was something like anthracnose, and if so other plants would also be affected.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 6:53AM
lazy_gardens

I have used shredded eucalyptus for mulch ... no problems.

If possible, use the pecan for firewood as well as mulch. it burns well.

If you get longish (6-8 ft) logs cut out of it, a local woodworker might take some.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:04AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the problem with fresh chips.. which are usually 50%+ green leaves... is that you end up with uneven application ...

if you have the room.. i would let them stand and compost themselves until next spring ... and then spread the resultant material ...

but i understand... many of us.. dont have the space for such ....

ken

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:09AM
cakbu(9)

I think the pecan died from neglect. There is a row of them and previous tenants had horses turned out among the trees. This particular tree was chewed and most of the bark stripped from the trunk. Coupled with lack of dry season irrigation for 5 years and I think I am lucky the others have survived...so far. I do irrigate them and my horses are fenced away from them.
Cheryl

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 4:44PM
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

Be really nice to the tree guys and maybe you can get another load of chips in the future from their work on someone else's yard!

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 6:20PM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

Don't worry about the eucalyptus. I would use all of it ad then tell the treeguys they can dump more undiseased chips if they want from the next guy.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:38PM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

Don't worry about the eucalyptus. I would use all of it ad then tell the treeguys they can dump more undiseased chips if they want from the next guy.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:39PM
More Discussions
Post hole filled with compost for deep soil conditioning
I am trying to find a way to fix my soil as deep and...
taylorjonl
Kitty litter in compost
I use wheat kitty litter and we mostly flush it down...
yugoslava
Clay
Moving to a new home with a blank canvas and landscape...
dnamama
Can I compost black walnut shavings and safely use the compost?
I do wood working and I use a lot of black walnut wood....
mike758
Fungus in compost
This pile was started about 3 weeks ago. It is overun...
jon2412
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™