pinch phlox and still lots of flowers?

rouge21_gw(5)July 20, 2012

This is the first full summer for our stand of Phlox Peppermint Twist. The actual flower is a bit unique but another appeal of this Phlox for us was it advertised reduced height. It is generally listed as around 18". Knowing this we planted two of them closer to the front of the garden in question. Well this year their first full growing season in the garden they are now over 40" tall (with tons of flowers) but have obscured several plants in the background. It isn't possible to relocate these plants but I am thinking that next...May? to pinch off a portion to reduce the final height. However I have not done this before with Phlox and I do not want to lose those flowers. Is May 'pinching' a successful technique for Phlox?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MollyDog(6 PA)

I cut mine back a little more than half mid-May and again early June. The plant will flower a little later 12-18" shorter.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 1:10PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Thanks for relaying this real world experience mollydog. And so as far as you can tell floriferousness does not suffer?

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 2:39PM
MollyDog(6 PA)

Flowers maybe a tad smaller, but not signicantly because the plant becomes bushier.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 3:53PM
gazania_gw

I pinch my Phlox David and Phlox Niki back in mid June and possibly again in early July to control height. The result is shorter plants with somewhat smaller, but more, bloom clusters. I am very happy with the results. More smaller bloom clusters on shorter plants more than make up for the fewer bigger flower heads collapsing to the ground.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 4:03PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Thanks for that gazania. I will do this next late May.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 4:50PM
Campanula UK Z8

aha, the Chelsea Chop - yep, I do this with asters and helenium as well as phlox - works a treat.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 6:05PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I do not pinch back my phlox because the deer do a thorough job of it. This year one area his been eaten at least twice and are very short but they are still setting blooms.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
Sun Lovers in Shade---Shade lovers in Sun?
Have you placed plants in a location contrary to what...
WendyJoZ8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™