lemon for compost?

chueh(7B)July 21, 2008

I started composting not long ago. I use one lemon everyday, so I add lemon to my compost pile too. My husband just saw me doing it and asked me if lemon was too acidic. Without proper knowledge, I answered him according to what I thought. Yes, a lemon ITSELF is acidic. Since a lemon is acidic itself, it helps the entire compost break down faster. When it is mixed with other organic materials, everything balances out at the end.

However, now just thinking about it, I might have misconcept about everything according to what I thought myself. Therefore, i might miseducated my husband too. I would like to relearn about this subject about lemon vs compost. Please educate me. Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenmulberry(5-Iowa City)

I put the lemon in!

Maybe a compost bin of all lemons would be too acidic, but like you said, when it is mixed with other materials, it all balances out.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 3:38PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I'm not really clear on what your question is. Is it ok to add lemons to compost piles? Yes. Does their acidity contribute to the speed of the composting process? No more so than anything else does. The acidity or alkalinity of an organic material really isn't relevant to the composting process.

Adding citrus fruits to vermicomposting bins isn't recommended but for regular compost piles, it poses no problems. I linked a previous discussion on this for you below.

Hope this answers your question.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus fruit peels in Compost?

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 3:44PM
chueh(7B)

Thank you. Yes, my question is answered.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 7:27PM
gatormomx2(9a)

Even better - grow your own lemons , enjoy fresh picked fruit and then put the peels in your compost . Can you grown a Myers lemon in a pot up where you are ? Even if you have cold winters , you could drag the pot into your garage during freezes .

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 7:36PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

That depends on the volume you add. If you were to add tons of citrus at one time that could influence what the bacteria do, but adding one, used, lemon per day is not enough to cause a problem.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
Using mushroom spawn or spores
How do I add mushroom spore or spawn to raised bed...
digsindirt1
Lawn fertilizer to increase nitrogen in flower beds?
For several years now my lawn and beds have been fed...
lincann
Hijack this thread like you're Annpat
So, I was walking by my compost pile the other day...
madmagic
Miracle-Gro Garden Soil
I was at Home Depot this morning getting a few things...
SneakyP
soil testing question
I posted this in the tropical fruits forum but I'm...
woohooman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™