drive belt problems need advice

richard48367August 23, 2014

gravely 1238H (old) drive belt listed as 73" by 1/2 put on 74 and it comes off after 5 or 6 hours. Put on 73" by 1/2 and it starts to smoke after 6 hrs when pto (mechanical) is engaged. Inside edge of belt is frayed. On the 73" belt, idler by engine pulley is so tight that it is hard to pull spring to set it. Would a 74" by 5/8" belt work better. (have one). Could I replace the spring on that idler arm to create less tension. Might that work. Don''t see any obstructions on belt route. Changing this drive belt is becoming a chore. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

07216100 is the correct traction belt number. I guess I would get one of those. How are those pulleys? What do you think is changing when the PTO is run?

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 12:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richard48367

The pulleys on the deck turn easily. When the pto is engaged the pto belt gets very tight. The idler belt on the drive belt pulley seems tighter than it should be. When you put the spring back into the side of the chassis, the spring doesn't fit the way it should . . . that is it reallly doesn't seat itself in the hole the way it should. would a 5/8 fit in these pulleys instead of the 1/2"

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek Hard Starting
I am another of the seemingly many people fighting...
dreamoftheflood
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
What happened???
I logged in yesterday after a prolonged absence and...
romore_gw
Tuff Torq K46 Tranny
I've been reading many of the posts on this site and...
tuco
Tractor starter-wrong rotation.
As I have been known locally as a lawn tractor fixer,...
rustyj14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™