Is this Rosa "ramblin red" ?

canadianplantJune 29, 2014

Just making sure this guy is ID properly. There were two stickers on the pot. Just want to know for care. Ramblin red is a climber so I want to know if i should build some minor hardscaping for it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

Flower

Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 10:02AM
seil zone 6b MI

I'd have to say it does look like it but there are quite a few other reds that look like that as well.

Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 2:50PM
AnneCecilia z5 MI

I'm not so sure it is....I can't see the canes too well, but they don't look thorny enough to be RR - it is viciously covered with armor in my garden, one of those I handle cautiously even when gloved.
What did the other label say?

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 6:36AM
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

I'm not good at rose ID, but I'd have to chime in on the "probably not" camp. It looks more true red than my Ramblin' Red, which always has a pinkish crimson cast. Maybe it's my weather, though - I don't know. The color is more like my Dublin Bay, but I don't remember that one showing the stamens. How about one of the Explorers, since you're in Canada? I think something like George Vancouver is a red with showy yellow stamens?

Don't trust my opinions, though, since this isn't really my skill area

Cynthia

Cynthia

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 3:07PM
canadianplant

If I remember right the other tag said "red rugosa". Ill have to take some pictures as the summer goes along i gues?

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 3:42PM
the_morden_man((Z4-Z5) Ontario, Canada)

I would say with pretty good certainty that it is RR. As a mature plant, it is very thorny as Ann Cecilia pointed out, but on an immature plant with non-hardened canes, you can't really judge it solely based on that. It is definitely not Dublin Bay, nor a Rugosa.

All this said, there are a number of reds that look very similiar, but I do believe it to be an immature RR.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 7:32PM
canadianplant

Thanks! Here is a recent picture of it. There is very little wood from last year because I didnt mulch it in the slightest.

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Rose thorn infection update
For those who missed the last thread on the subject,...
alisande
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™