Using shredded Asian bush honeysuckle as mulch?

KateinDC(7a)July 31, 2014

After we bought this house, I dug out all the Asian bush honeysuckle in the yard and shredded it. The piles have been sitting in a corner of the backyard since 2011, and I haven't dared using them as mulch because I read the plant is allelopathic. Do you think this is a concern for mulch when it's aged three years? I might be overthinking this...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I regularly put Lonicera prunings on my compost heap. I really don't think you need worry about three year old material.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 4:24PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

One reason mulches are used is to suppress unwanted plant growth so if a material has allelopathic properties that would be a benefit. I would use them, although probably not close to plants I wanted growing.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 6:16AM
toxcrusadr

Yay, kill the invasive honeysuckle and shred the corpses!

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 10:57AM
lazy_gardens

Use it ... my only concern about honeysuckle would be it sprouting from the nodes.

All this "I read somewhere it's allelopathic" is usually someone misquoting a study they didn't understand.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:05PM
gardengal48

3 year old material is unlikely to cause any problems. As long as no green present, no worries.

With regards to allelopathy, composting typically negates this effect......and even cold composting will achieve similar results. Also it is important to understand that allelopathy is not uniform. Effects are typically noted only on certain plant species and published literature on any of the Loniceras indicates very mixed results. Even studies that DID conclude some mild allelopathy conditioned that conclusion with a statement indicating context dependency with respect to soil microorganisms and native species identity but not to light conditions or soil type.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:42PM
KateinDC(7a)

Thank you all, especially gardengal48 for the detailed insights. So I suppose I don't need to worry about it, which is good because I'm not exactly sure which piles of shredded brush are the honeysuckle... We shredded a lot of stuff back then. And I can't use any mulch away from desirable plants because our property isn't big enough to have mulched areas without desirable plants.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Using Compost as Mulch
I have a large perennial and rose garden. I have used...
spinach
lobster shells,,,what to do
Tell me what you would do if you had 15 lobster carcasses. We...
flowersnhens
Clay
Moving to a new home with a blank canvas and landscape...
dnamama
Can I compost black walnut shavings and safely use the compost?
I do wood working and I use a lot of black walnut wood....
mike758
What input of compost would equate to best compost for potting soil?
Trying here to use compost in a potting soil instead...
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™