can I plant roses in partial sun

nessyrae23June 30, 2014

or do I have to find a shade tolerant variety. The area I'd like to plant in gets 4-6 hours of morning sun. I'm looking for a blue/ light lavender rose and a white that grows to about 3x3. Any help and suggestions would be so appreciated. First year of rose gardening.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Sounds OK, five hours is what we usually say. But remember, by August, the sun will be lower in the south and will stay more toward the south as opposed to rising further to the east this time of year.

'Bolero' is a good white rose with fragrance and pretty good disease resistance. Mauve roses as a group are weaker, but you could consider 'Neptune' and 'Posiedon'.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 10:46AM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

Most of the Rugosa roses do very well with morning sun and afternoon shade. For white, Rosa Rugosa Alba can't be beat. Rosa Rugosa is a beautiful mauve pink. They are almost indestructible. You NEVER have to spray them for anything. Beautiful deep green foliage. The blooms smell great. No animals mess with them. That means no deer, rabbit or anyone else who chew on roses for a meal.The trick is your planting hole. If you have decent drainage, dig a hole 18" deep, 36" around. Get rid of most of that soil. Several bags of sand and a couple of bags of Garden Soil. Not top soil. It comes out to a 3 to 1 ratio. 3 or 4 shovels full of the soil you took out tossed in. Mix it all up real good. Water it down and let it settle. Throw some more sand and Garden Soil on top of everything and let it sit for a couple of days then plant your Rugosa's. I feed mine twice a year. Once in early spring right after pruning and once in August. All I feed them with is fish emulsion. The only drawback is the stems are solid thorns. But I can live with that.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 11:31AM
the_morden_man((Z4-Z5) Ontario, Canada)

For a white, I'd recommend Marie Pavie and/or Marie Bugnet. Both will tolerate less than ideal sun conditions. Hiedsommer is also another to consider.

For a Lavender, I wouldn't even bother with any other variety than Poseidon (Novalis).

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Planting Rose in Square Container
Hi, I am wondering if I would have any problems planting...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Blue Girl - bush
I'm starting to think about culling out the noncontenders...
canadian_rose
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
Is "horticultural oil" just mineral oil?
I've been reading about it and am confused. I know...
nonconformist_nymphette
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™