Using unfinished compost

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)July 3, 2009

Is this a bad idea? I have some areas that I want to use my compost on, but the stuff in the bin is only about 1/2 finished, maybe a little more. I also need to put down some mulch. I wanted to put the compost down first. These are areas where I have established perennials growing. The compost is mainly shredded oak leaves, shredded paper, kitchen waste and grass clippings.

Jenny P

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ptilda(3/4)

I do it all the time... and so does Mother Nature. As long as you don't put it too thick & not right up against the base of the plant, I've never had a problem with it.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 5:33PM
idaho_gardener

Jenny, I've recently learned that unfinished compost prevents germination of seeds. I am planning to use unfinished compost on my garden beds in between the plants in the future to suppress weeds. Also, the bacterial activity in the compost might serve as a deterrent to wandering bugs like squash bugs.

Short answer; I would deliberately use unfinished compost in the manner you are suggesting.

- Paul M.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 12:01AM
luckygal(3b)

Just put some unfinished compost on several of my perennial beds yesterday. No rain for awhile so I'm calling it mulch. Added some alfalfa tea to some of it "just in case" for extra nitrogen. Can't hurt, plants like it.

Jenny, your "mulch/compost" doesn't sound as carboniferous as mine which has fine wood shavings so it's likely OK without the addition of more nitrogen.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 12:19AM
More Discussions
What to do with old container soil?
I live in a very small suburban yard and must use containers...
freyja5
Black gold
Black gold
mypaco
rescuing a defunct flower bed
We bought our house a year ago and now want to replant...
chelsea_bridges64
Hapi-gro 100% Organic Compost
Can I plant straight into this?
Elbourne
Does anyone not like newspaper for weed blocking?
I give advice as a master gardener for my county extension...
kimpa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™