When do you prune a Kousa Dogwood?

hydrangeasnohio(6a)May 21, 2010

Hello, I am confused if you should Prune in Late Winter/Early Spring or after they bloom here in Early Summer? Or am I completely wrong?

It has multiple trunks and I just want to clean them up off the ground a little bit and make it keep growing up. Thanks you for any help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Here.

Dan

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 2:40PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Purdue University lists Cornus kousa as prune after flowering. You may want to dig a little further in regards to disease cycles for kousa

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 3:19PM
gardengal48

The recommended time is while they are dormant - late winter or early spring. Dogwoods are among those trees that can leak significant amounts of watery sap if pruned too late in the season. And the rule of thumb is to prune these trees with a very light hand, just removing the three D's, correcting any conflicting branching (unsual because of the paired branching structure) and limbing up if necessary. And the recommendation is to take any cuts back to the branch collar - dogwoods respond to lateral or heading cuts by producing copious shoots at the cut and you run the risk of creating this wild, twiggy, Medusa-looking mess if you prune too heavily. Virtually any source will instruct you that Cornus trees require and should receive minimal pruning.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 10:31AM
hydrangeasnohio(6a)

Hi gardengal and whass!

I do just want to do some very light pruning. It small new growth that is coming out to low on the trunks. Just confused when to do it??

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 12:25PM
gardengal48

That you can remove at any time :-)

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 12:30PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Don't prune enough to expose the stems to sun burn. Note also that pruning bottom branches will not make the top grow more vertically, it just changes the shape of the specimen so that it looks more tree-like. In reference to this phenomenon heavy pruning of bushy shrubs so that they are left with elevated foliage on a smaller number of visible stems has been called "arborizing".

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
What's the prognosis for this poor magnolia and apple tree?
I've lived in this house for a year. The previous owners...
nonconformist_nymphette
Alder tree has bark curling, cracking, and falling off
One of the Alder trees on our property in northern...
rocko_54
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™