Balloon flowers

papillon1July 15, 2014

Does it help to deadhead the flowers on the campanula balloon flowers? Does it promote more blooms? If it is allowed to set seed does it self seed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

It will continue to bloom deadheaded or not. It self seeds prolifically.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 1:38PM
papillon1

Thanks pitimpinai I think I will stop deadheading & let it make seed. I just love them & would like to have lots more.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 2:24PM
gardenweed_z6a

Once they finish blooming, the seedpods will resemble really tiny tulips. Each pod contains lots of seeds & plants are easily grown from seed. According to my notes, the seeds don't need cold stratification in order to germinate. My plants do self-seed but not to the extent I find them annoying. I let my many balloon flowers form seedpods every year just because I can't be bothered removing them.

Just an FYI - balloon flower is Platycodon, not campanula. Please don't be annoyed or frightened: I have a spreadsheet of all my perennials & shrubs.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:18PM
SunnyBorders(5A)

True, but not so wrong.

Balloon flower was once called the "great-flowered bellflower"; binomial, Campanula grandiflora).

It was split from the Genus campanula later in the 18th century, but being closely related, is still in the Family Campanulaceae.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 8:22PM
gardenweed_z6a

SunnyBorders - how cool is that?! I didn't know they were once categorized in the Genus campanula. Day's not wasted--I learned something new, botanically speaking.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 9:13PM
SunnyBorders(5A)

You sound like me Gardenweed; always something new to learn re the garden.

Example: what you said above about balloon flowers reseeding.

I must have planted several dozen balloon flowers over recent years and have never once seen them reseed.

Then again, if I have anything to do with their subsequent maintenance, I always deadhead balloon flowers in the interests of neatness!

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 10:13PM
greenhearted(5a IL)

I am just chiming in to say that my 'Sentimental Blue' (Platycodon) has never reseeded. I sure wish it did!

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 2:38PM
amna(6 (MA))

Mine did self seed but that may be because I never deadheaded or used mulch around the plants. They seeded " nicely", not like my hairs which was a beast set on engulfing my entire yard!

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 3:28PM
gailwrite(6KY)

A master gardener told me that the old varieties reseed and the new hybrid varieties don't which finally explained why hers reseeded all over the place and mine do not. And, I have found "store bought" seed very hard to germinate.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
Dieing Elephant Ear?
I bought a Black Magic elephant ear about 4 months...
addisonf
Name this flowering plant please.
This plant did not die this winter, even tho we've...
jand3737
Big Mistake ! Chinese lantern
I just wanted to warn those who are thinking about...
rodco
A walk in the park
A few pictures from my local park this morning.
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
What groundcover would you mix with Helleborus?
I'd like to plant a new bed of hellebores, but I'm...
magpiepix 5b/6a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™