Please give me your 2 cents!

smdmtJuly 27, 2014

Last fall I started preparing an annual cut flower bed (about 20'x5') by digging up the sod, adding a layer of cardboard and putting down an inch or so of horse manure and leaves. I topped that with turned over sod and compost.
This spring I planted the annuals in the mix and they have done quite well. Now, I am thinking this fall to add more leaves, compost, etc. What would you recommend to cover it with so the good stuff isn't lost in the wind and rain/snow? Perhaps a cover crop like I will do in my vegetable garden?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

To keep things from blowing away, put a layer of branches (from tree pruning somewhere) over the top of the bed.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:32PM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

Or you could just grow the cover crop.

How much organic matter did you start with in the soil?

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:47PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Where in the Rocky Mountains are you? Whether you might need something to hold those leaves in place depends on many things, starting with what kind of winter winds you have and what kind of snow cover you can expect and when. Where I am I have not had a problem with winds blowing the shredded leaves off the planting beds, even if there was nothing to hold them in place except snow. But then I planted windbreaks around from day one although I still get snow drifting from the winter winds and snow fencing does help.
I found, many years ago, that a mulch and a cover crop do not do very well together, even though the cover crop may trap some wind blown leaves.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 6:54AM
toxcrusadr Clay Soil(Zone 6a - MO)

I put compost or half finished compost down in the fall and cover with leaves or leaf-grass clipping mix. A leaf-grass mix stays in place in the wind, seems the grass ties things together better. Not sure if you can get grass clippings where you are. You could also mulch over the top with shredded wood or yard waste. Or use a piece of burlap or lightweight bird netting. I've reused the nets they put over Christmas trees when they sell them, perfect for keeping a leaf pile down. Or if you have a veggie garden, lay your tomato cages on top of the leaves for winter.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:33PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

Tox! Ahhhh burlap! We used to get our animal food in those lovely re-usable burlap bags!
Now you have to go to the fabric store and BUY burlap! It's fairly inexpensive, but you still have to BUY it! Nancy

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:36PM
toxcrusadr Clay Soil(Zone 6a - MO)

Ah, the good old days. Now everything is in semi-useless plastic packaging. :-[

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:25AM
More Discussions
Need advice on watering succulents with new soil
I recently began using soil-less soil, as has been...
breathnez
Can burned cow manure be used as fertilizer?
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and am starting out with...
sally2_gw
Coco peat powder for the gooey compost pile?
Hello Friends, I am from tropical Assam in India; I...
PULINC
how would one add / help mycorrhizae
On another thread (very long and informative - why...
louisianagal
rescuing a defunct flower bed
We bought our house a year ago and now want to replant...
chelsea_bridges64
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™