Tall phlox 'Nicky'

forensicmomJuly 12, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with this one? I was searching for a hot pink colored one and I found this at the nursery. The tag says disease resistant but I know that doesn't really mean anything since most of the ones get powdery mildew. I guess I want to hear something positive and that I made the right choice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairiegirlz5

Hi~'Nicky' has been around; its reliably hardy and very resistant to powdery mildew, but that depends so much on growing conditions. You need to leave room around the plants so that air can circulate. I find that means they not only grow larger, but they also spread by seed, so give it some room to ramble. Similar in habit to bee balm. I kept the one seedling that looked like my original 'Laura', but that was a happy accident.

Here's something interesting about the color. 'Nicky' is close to 'Laura' in color, without the white eye, right? My 'Laura' has a reddish magenta color that almost vibrates. I have read that 'Nicky' changes color. ' Blue Paradise' is said to have this same quality, changing from reddish purple to magenta, with a red eye, I believe. Phlox is one of my favorite plants, so I definitely want to try these.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 3:02PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

I was going to a local garden center today (not HD or Lowe's)to see if they had any garden phlox available but a storm/rain came up and decided since those type plants are always on the upper level, I wasn't going to take a chance to be caught up there with no shelter. Will go another day.
That Blue Paradise is calling my name. Would love to have some red ones too. Do you think the garden centers would still have Bee Balm this time of the year too?

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 7:51PM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

My BLue paradise gets mildew while Laura and Nicky do not. Great color, but not as healthy leaves.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 9:04AM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Good to know. Thanks for the input. I have a daughter named Laura, named after my Grandmother and I had a crush on a boy in high school named Nicky.That was way over 50 yrs. ago..maybe the Nicky phlox will be as cute as he was! Silly debate, isn't it? LOL!

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 10:54AM
wieslaw59

Original German name for the plant is Dusterlohe. The flowers burn to white in the sun. Apart from that it is not completely selfsupporting and fall over in rain+wind. The same applies to French cultivar Iris(identical). The only one in this colour which is selfsupporting is Border Gem. It also burns in the sun, but not that badly as the two others. Blue Paradise is a flopper, as well as Blaue Morgen(a little bluer in the evenings). None of the purple phloxes resemble Laura even by a long shot.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 7:21PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I was attracted by the title "tall phlox" is there any other kind? No matter how much I cut mine back they are always too tall. Al

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 9:55AM
wieslaw59

Yes, phlox subulata creeps on the ground. There are also other types, 'half-high' . Try to type phlox in Google. It will come with many suggestions.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Trillium 2015
This thread is for anyone who wants to post pics of...
gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
Big Mistake ! Chinese lantern
I just wanted to warn those who are thinking about...
rodco
lost blooms on azalea and hydrangea
It got below freezing last night and today I noticed...
southerngardening24
Troubles with new Campanula Carpatica (Blue Clips)
I will start by saying that I am a pretty new gardener....
lovelyother1
Sponsored Products
Tall Beat Pendant Light in Copper
| Dot & Bo
ACF by Nameeks ACF PH06-GA Phinex 39-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Glossy Ant
Hayneedle
Fusion Dakota Brushed Nickel Tall Table Lamp
$147.60 | Bellacor
TRINITY NSF 6-tier Chrome Wire Shelving Rack
Overstock.com
TrailWorthy 4-foot Tall Christmas Tree
Overstock.com
Maria Theresa Tall Five-Light Crystal Chandelier
$500.00 | Bellacor
LumenAria Sonoma Cylinder Double Wall Sconce by Justice Design Group
$261.00 | Lumens
Tile Murals: The Tile Mural Store Building Materials Vineyard Window I 24 in. x