Apple Tree Suckers

iKandyXotics(8)May 5, 2013

I noticed this year my apple tree hasn't produced any leaves what so ever. Checked on it and there was 2 large suckers on it. My first thought was just new branches , but after doing research that was not the case. I clipped those two off and was wondering , I scraped a little section of the bark off and it looked viable , is there anything else I need to do to it , or should it jump back to growing regular? It is only roughly 2 yeras old? It is a 5-1-n- Dwarf Apple.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iKandyXotics(8)

Still looks well.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 2:28PM
iKandyXotics(8)

Suckers

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 2:29PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

You'll just have to wait and see what happens. The fact that the root suckers had foliage before the rest of the tree is not necessarily a sign of problems. There's not much else you can do at this point, but, if your tree does make it, you might want to remove the turf grass (competition) from around its base.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 6:36PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

The bark on the top looks brown and shrinking and dead. If the tree is ok, the scraping of the bark with your fingernail will show vivid green. Not white or brown, a bright green.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 7:20PM
iKandyXotics(8)

Well , after re-looking at it , it is indeed dead :*( . Dead infact , all the way down to the base. I am not sure if it will be able to grow from that , but , I am going to give it a shot. Lost my 5-n-1 Pear as well due to suckers , man I really should have researched suckers from the begining :*

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 1:48PM
iKandyXotics(8)

I am replacing the 5-n-1 apple , do you have any helpful tips ? I really want them to grow strong and healthy !

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
What's the prognosis for this poor magnolia and apple tree?
I've lived in this house for a year. The previous owners...
nonconformist_nymphette
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
Indoor Dogwood Tree
Hi, I'm looking to grow a dogwood tree indoors in our...
timandpao
Nutmeg Hickory
Anyone here growing this species? I received one that's...
alabamatreehugger
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™