My Rugosas have no fragrance?

ptwonlineJune 9, 2014

This spring I planted some fragrant roses for the first time to replace my barely fragrant Knock Out Roses. The first to just fully bloom were the hybrid white rugosas Blanc Double de Coubert and White Pavement. However, these roses seem to have no fragrance for me so far. I have to stick my nose right into the flower and then I get the barest hint of a fragrance (I almost stuck my nose right into a busy bee!), and even then it just smells more like leaves than flowers.

Do I have to wait for later in the summer or even until these roses are older before I get fragrance from these? They seem fairly vigorous.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I would say "patience." Many roses do not come "true" the first time they bloom. Maturity will probably rectify the problem--especially after the rose is 3-4 years old.

Kate

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 2:04PM
seil zone 6b MI

Weather conditions will also affect fragrance. Even different times of the day can make a difference. Be patient, let them mature and I'll bet they'll smell great!

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 3:25PM
ptwonline

Thanks. It's hard to wait but as all gardeners discover, life is about delayed gratification!

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:55PM
drmbear

Also continue to improve the soil with lots of mulch. Organic material in the soil will also contribute to smell of roses and flavor of vegetables.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
To Pascali or not?
I'm contemplating planting a hedge of roses and my...
kublakan
vigorosa roses
As I continue my research on roses that will work in...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Questions about Blaze climbing rose
Hello. I am thinking of putting a Blaze climbing rose...
suz9601
Roses for two spots in the PNW
Hello! I'm in zone 8 near Seattle and I've got two...
nonconformist_nymphette
Simplicity-Even a bad rose sometimes can be good
Simplicity is overall a rose best skipped. But it has...
Kippy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™