Is this a proper cutting?

QLilyMay 10, 2014

I ordered this online. I am new at using trees from cuttings. When I ordered it, I had no idea it was a cutting. It was not listed as a cutting. I was informed of that and that it had the top cut off of it. Will this grow into a proper tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
QLily

This is the whole top of the tree.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 2:52PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

what i cant tell.. is if it was grafted ... that is a very common cut to remove top growth of the understock when grafting...

if that is so ... then that stuff growing down below is NOT the plant you ordered.. it is the root stock plant.. and should be removed ....

there.. now you are more confused than when you asked.. lol ...

whats the plant ... perhaps link us to the website.. and maybe we can read between all those fancy words... lol ...

does the tag say magnolia???

not many TREES... are grown from cutting .. especially high priced foo foo flowering shrubs and trees ... grafting is faster to market ... so its usually preferred ...

name that plant...

ken

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 7:58PM
QLily

I can't find the link. It is a magnolia. I email the seller and he said he has been doing this for 30 years and that what I got was a mid branch cut. It does seem to be a nongrafted whole piece. It does have roots. I am fairly peeved that it is a cutting. I wouldn't have ordered it had I known.

I am not sure about the other plants I got from him. I also bought 2 cherry trees. I received them with brown spots. A friend of mine says it's a fungus. I haven't heard back yet about that.

Lesson learned. lol

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 10:43AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

A few trees are commonly cultivated from cuttings - poplars and willows, Platanus (planes and sycamores) come to mind. All easy-to-root species for the most part.

I wasn't aware Magnolia was.

But - if it's the tree cultivar you ordered and is healthy, why does it matter how he propagated it?

That "kink" in the stem from where it was cut will be rather unnoticeable in a few years.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
Nutmeg Hickory
Anyone here growing this species? I received one that's...
alabamatreehugger
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™