Bad Pickles for the Compost Pile?

nancedar(z7NC)July 5, 2008

Last year I made wonderful sweet pickles and B&B's but the sliced dills were soft and not appetizing. I have maybe 20 quart jars of them to get rid of. Can I put them in one of my compost bins? Each bin holds about 2 cu. yds. of "in process" compost and I use it after 2 years of turning and adding and watering. By volume the majority is pickles, then vinegar, water, salt, garlic, dill, and other spices. I would think each jar only holds a half pint of liquid but my concern is the salt absorbed by the cukes. Our native soil is acidic with a clay and sand loam that is quite rich in organics in the acre or so of the veggie garden (thanks to the amendment of my compost over the past 8 years). I would hate to disrupt that balance by adding salt which I have no idea what it would do to the pH or what residual effect the salt would have on my native or amended soil. Is there a counter-reagent for salts? I am not concerned about the vinegar since I think it neutralizes itself in the pile.

Thanks.

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpgreen(5UT)

Here is a link to a thread from last fall about composting pickle juice. That person had juice from a 5 gallon bucket of pickles, so it should be about the same. The consensus on that thread seemed to be that it would probably not have much impact on the compost since it was small in comparison.

The salt won't affect the pH, and I don't think it would cause problems in your area because there's not all that much and it will readily leach out with rainfall.

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 6:27PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree there is no problems with adding them to your compost bins. We cleaning out the canning cabinets annually and all the out-dated products go into the compost piles - pickles included. As Bp said, salt build-up isn't really a worry as it will readily leach out of the soil with rain. Just like the vinegar, composting neutralizes most everything in time. ;)

Dave

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 6:33PM
nancedar(z7NC)

Thanks. I plan on making better dills this year, learned my lesson. "If it doesn't taste right going in, it isn't going to be right after it is canned." Glad to know that those cukes have a purpose after all. Knowledge and compost to cover the mistakes.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
Gooey vegetable compost under kitchen sink
Fellow gardeners who COMPOST, I need some advice. I...
valrie87
New raised bed garden
I'm putting a raised bed garden in the front of the...
dbbob
Can I use Miracle Gro Garden Soil by itself ?
I just bought Miracle Gro Garden Soil with some bags...
maximus2015
Is non-organic compost OK?
Hello, I am wondering if buying compost from a small,...
kebenn2
Can burned cow manure be used as fertilizer?
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and am starting out with...
sally2_gw
Sponsored Products
Gray Ornate Floral Wool Rug
$69.99 | zulily
Christine Rug 8' x 10'
$3,299.00 | Horchow
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Safavieh Area Rug: Anatolia Brown/Blue 3' x 5'
Home Depot
Safavieh Area Rug: Chelsea Ivory/Light Green 3' x 3' Round
$62.97 | Home Depot