5hp tecumseh engine too much compression

jimmyaAugust 5, 2014

I have this engine without start motor that I can hardly pull, is there some way to reduce the compression so an old man can start it? lol
Thank,
Jimmy Alpha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Possibly. What is your model and spec number?

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 7:57PM
jimmya

The engine has no data plate, but it came off a Sears 536-909400 snow thrower. I understand it's a 5hp from the net, and a Tecumseh point kit fit like a ducks foot in the mud. Hence I feel it's a Tecumseh? lol

Engine runs like a top, just harder to pull than the 6.5hp I put on the snow thrower.

I'm hoping to replace a like new Clinton on an old "Merry Tiller' with it, and save the Clinton just to have as I have Clinton ties.

Thanks for any help...
Jim A

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:03PM
bill_kapaun

Look for a 143.xxxxxx number on the engine.
That's the Tecumseh prefix for "Sears" engines and can often be crossed for the specific Tec engine.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 10:57PM
tomplum

Your engine may have a compression release issue, which could be internal or from an excessive valve gap. Is there points in this? Could you be dealing with a timing issue? There were snow king engines based off both the small HS frame and medium H frame. Post a pic if you can't find the number. Of course, you will need to rig up an air box. Another option seeing as though this is a snow engine, maybe it has the provisions for an electric start.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:27PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

I think needed carbon removed if hard to pull rope when builds up raise compression high hard to pull and brake rope.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 8:03PM
rcbe(6)

OP - Gator Rider2 makes a good point about carbon buildup in that older Tecumseh 5HP engine cyl chamber.... such could make it much harder to crank with a rope pull start due to increased compression.
I have a 5 HP Tec on a chipper/shredder with a rope pull start and it does not pull hard.. starts/runs well.
Might be worth either running a special additive thru the fuel supply or pulling the head & giving the cyl/piston head a good scraping...

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 8:34AM
jimmya

The carbon on piston makes sense as a snow blower engine most likely had choke always partly on in the cold? I'll check it out today Thanks for the hints, I'll post back what I find.
Jim

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 9:13AM
jimmya

Removed .015 to .030 carbon from head and top of piston and now pulls and starts as it should, thanks for the tips! I would never thought of carbon build up, thanks again...
Please close this thread.
Jimmya

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 5:31PM
rcbe(6)

we learn from reach other, eh? But Gold Star goes to Gator Rider2 on this particular one... :)
Hope that old Tec gives you many more years of service.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
old mtd lawnflite chain drive?
Hey I just bought and old riding mower and lo and bohold...
mtdlawnflite
Can you identify this Muffler?
I obtained this muffler a while ago, but have no idea...
rodco
John Deere 445 EFI wet plugs
Tractor won't start until you remove both spark plugs and...
stone75
Just throwing this out there...
Been thinking of starting a Facebook page on small...
snuffyinatl
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek Hard Starting
I am another of the seemingly many people fighting...
dreamoftheflood
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™