Critique these pruning cuts on American Elm

alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)May 13, 2014

I'm consistently seeing this kind of callusing pattern on the pruning cuts I'm making on my American elms. You can see the horseshoe shape rather than the ideal circle of callus. These elms are prone to tight branching angles with some included bark, making the pruning cuts a bit tricky. Is the best I can expect, or am I doing something wrong? The cuts I make on other trees grow over just fine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

as far as i am concerned.. its doing its thing.. the way it wants too .. and it appears that you did your thing properly.. because it is closing up the wound.. like its supposed to ...

i cant tell if you left perhaps a bit more than usual.. with the front on pic ... maybe if you cut closer.. it wouldnt do that.. but then it would be easy to dig too deep and make the wound twice as big in surface area ... and i would probably not favor that ...

side pic???

if you are worrying.. i wouldnt.. looks like its working in tree time... and getting the job done ...

ken

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 5:06PM
longtee81

These pruning cuts look good to me. Take a look at the link below which includes some relevant content from an educational pruning book (Hopefully it works.... it's a great book by the way in Kindle Version (over 300 pages so it covers everything and then some).

It seems to indicate that although normally good pruning cuts will result in the ideal circle but this is not always the case.... seems to depend on the species but I would bet it is because the branches were described as being included.

Is that a classic American Elm or a cultivator?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Ed Gilman Book (U shaped healing)

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 12:14AM
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

I'm not too worried about it, the cuts are not that large, just always trying to do things the best way.

Longtee, the tree is Ulmus americana 'Valley Forge'. It is prone to these tight angles, as well as this nasty habit of making these 4 branch crotches (imagine your hand with no thumb, the 4 "fingers" all emerging side by side)

Thanks for the input!

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
What does it mean if a tree is "vigorous"?
For example, "This tree tends to be less vigorous...
tlbean2004
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™