Wire lights to run on battery.

robotersAugust 19, 2014

I want to run the headlights to run off of the battery when the engine is not running

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

If your lights only work when the engine is running, then you only have a 3 AMP charging system, so likely will have to use a battery charger to top off the battery.
The lights are powered off a separate AC lighting circuit.

Easiest way would be to just add an extra set OF LED light(/s) (low power) with their own switch.
Use the AC powered lights when running to conserve the battery and switch on the lower power light when not.

Factory lights would draw about 5-6 Amps, so you'd need 2 minutes of running at high engine speed for each minute of headlight use.
This is assuming you have no other electrical draw such as a fuel solenoid or Operator Presence Relays.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 10:41PM
roboters

Actually I was thinking about doing that and adding a volt gauge but I would rather have the volt gauge so how do i in stall the gauge?

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 10:52PM
bill_kapaun

Not sure what you want to accomplish with a volt meter? Do you mean ammeter?

For a volt meter, just wire it in to the circuit that powers the carb fuel solenoid, with the other terminal to ground.
That way it's OFF when the key is OFF.

If an ammeter, it has to be in series with the charge wire between the key switch and charge diode off the alternator.

Since you didn't provide any tractor brand/model etc. one can't give much more advice than that or ensure that is the absolute best method.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch...
cowgirlrose55
Craftsman FS 5500 clutch issue.
With the engine running, when attempting to drive forward...
mrgizmos
old mtd lawnflite chain drive?
Hey I just bought and old riding mower and lo and bohold...
mtdlawnflite
Do "Drift Cutters" work?
Chatting with a buddy in Connecticut, he had about...
exmar
What happened???
I logged in yesterday after a prolonged absence and...
romore_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™