Collecting compost tea using the rubbermaid bins method

perennialfan273(zone 5)July 17, 2009

Hello

I recently set up a worm bin with rubbermaid bins (I found the video on youtube). However, after I was finished setting it up, I realized that the person who set it up did not set up his bin so that I could collect the compost tea. Is there a way I can modify my bin so that I CAN collect it, because I've heard it's very good for your plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rjinga

better question for the vermicomposting forum, they know their stuff over there ;)

It would also help to know what all you have done to your bin so we can know what else you need to do. From my limited knowledge of the topic, all you really need simply put is drainage holes on the bottom and something to catch the drippings, like you would use a saucer for a potted plant. something bigger than the bin and deep enough to hold some liquid (but I'd guess only a few inches is plenty). I dont think these bins typically (if they are balanced correctly) put out a whole lot of liquid.

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 9:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rj_hythloday(8A VA)

Agreed, the vermicomposting forum. But that's not tea, it's leachate, you can put it diluted on your plants, I generally pour it on my hot compost pile by removing the top bin and pouring the bottom bin on the pile. Do a search on AVCT aearated vermicompost tea is really what your after. I collect bim, by putting a stocking of cooked brown rice and molasses in the bin (more to it, search out BIM on this forum).

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing
Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here...
Angelina Zarre
Idea for high moisture woody debris compost heap
I got some branches recently in someone's yardwaste...
irjowo99
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
Cover crops to increase earthworm population
So this past winter I had several dahlias that died...
ryank817
No till garden/no weeds?
Is there a good way to keep weeds down in an established...
hummersteve
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™