What happened to these Lamb's Ears?

KateinDC(7a)July 24, 2014

After looking nice in the spring and early summer, my Lamb's Ears always end up like this by July:

That is, part of the foliage matted on the ground and rotting. Is this just from the rainfall, or is it a disease? I'm ready to get rid of the plant if it always looks like this during the latter part of the season. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenHearted(5a IL)

Is it very humid where you are? Stachys will "melt out" in humidity.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 4:36PM
KateinDC(7a)

Thanks. Yes, the summers are horribly humid here... Oddly, I haven't seen this phenomenon with Lamb's Ears in other gardens around. Maybe there are more humidity-resistant cultivars? As it is, I think I will plant something else in that spot.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 7:56PM
gardenweed_z6a

Just a suggestion: you might want to try Stachys byzantina/lamb's ear 'Helen Von Stein,' a non-flowering sterile variety that might perform better in your Z7a conditions. I find it to be zero-maintenance and zero-nuisance in my perennial beds. Might look a little crappy in January but seems to self-correct and look stunning the rest of the year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stachys byzantina 'Helen Von Stein'

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 9:36PM
KateinDC(7a)

Thank you for the suggestion, I will consider it. The page you linked mentions the leaf rot for the species, and I think my problem is that they are not truly in full sun (just in one of the sunniest spots I have), which exacerbates the problem.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:30PM
plaidbird

I have it's twin.

As an experiment, you might try planting some of the bits and bobs you pull up when cleaning, as an edging plant in a larger mixed planting pot. That's what I did a few years ago, and after the first year of not looking so great, mine has turned back into the beautiful plant I remember when I purchased it many, many years ago.

It could be many reasons mine has transformed, but I think the main thing it likes is the light potting mix, compared to actual soil that compacts over time. It's on the edge of a planted wheelbarrow, a pretty well drained spot compared to normal conditions here. A spot I previously had trouble with long term plantings due to getting too dry year round.

Worth a try.

This post was edited by plaidbird on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 22:34

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
How about 'SUPERthrive'?
Anybody use this stuff? I bought it but not sure if...
casi
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Are Agapanthus hardy in zone 6
Does anyone have experience growing agapanthus in zone...
KarenPA_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™