Old Organic Gardening Magazines

bookjunky4life(5 Central IL)January 11, 2010

My grandma mentioned she was going to throw away some old gardening magazines. I freaked out and said no, you aren't! Now I have about 10-15 years of old Organic Gardening magazines now. I'll never throw them away, as I consider them antiques. As old as 1985 or older and I know as new as 2001. I'm 26 so 1985 is old; I was only 2. There's a lot of information in them. For instance, one magazine stated that flourescent lights are just as effective as "growing lights" at starting seeds indoors. The growing lights just make the plant look better. Is this true? I always thought you had to have the special solar lights.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbe_wa

Back in the days when I was using a greenhouse with lights, I used four-bulb light fixtures with warm white bulbs on the outside and cool white bulbs on the inside. This gave a very close approximation to sunlight, I think. At least I was pretty successful with it. Now it's wintersowing or the cold frame for everything, and I'm even more sucessful!

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 3:00PM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

1985 is ANTIQUE? I was born in 1952. What would you label me? "older than antique"? ancient antique? I'd better go looking for a nursing home.

Karen

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 3:11PM
ramazz(8a VA)

Hey, Karen! You and me both!

Becky

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 3:55PM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Book Junky,
ha ha that's funny. Old to me is the small format mags from the 60s, which I remember reading as a kid. However, they are right that regular shop lights work fine for seed starting. half cool and half warm as barbe says. If you go to growing under lights there's lots of info.

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 7:28PM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

I think there's a bunch of us here that could fill a few nursing homes. Can you imagine the gardens surrounding that place??? Oh it would be paradise to us all. Gosh!! What a great idea!!!

Bookjunky you are sweet! At 26 I was buying my first house, driving my first car, and managing my first restaurant. Thanks for the memories.

Ooops, just to stay on topic, never done lights. :O) I do have a LOT of old magazines, some dating to the 1960s.

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 8:00PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

bookjunky, you really are sweet. When I was your age, I was living in an apartment trying to grow hot pepper on windowsills.

I used to use shop lights to grow seeds and rose cuttings in the basement for a couple winters.
After seeing my electric bill go up more than $10 a month I didn't think it was worth it. It was cheaper to buy plants from the nursery then.

My neighbor who used to work at the conservatory grew seeds under fluorescence light for many, many years. The seedlings were wonderful. I would hate to see his electric bill, though.

Karen, Becky, tiffy, we are going to celebrate our 53 bd at the same time? Wonderful.

:-D

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 12:39AM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

Not me, Mone. I'm 57.

Karen

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 8:09AM
trudi_d

I'm not 53 yet, in August though I will be. Hey, the fifties rock, except for the crappy eyesight, cranky knees and daily bran muffins, yeah, the fifties are fine ;-(

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 8:18AM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Hahaha. Karen, see? I don't know how to count either. I meant 58...will be 58 in April. :-D
Yup, trudi. The 50s rock. I had not felt content until these past years.

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 9:21AM
quilt_mommy(5/6 Northeast Ohio)

Lol* I have a bunch of them sitting on the shelf in the other room I got for free from a book sale. I'm not sure how old they are, I should check. Lol*

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 7:24PM
jessewo(5 PA)

I have heaps of garden mags & "someday I'll sort stuff out" Oh yeah! Several years ago when I was between jobs, I volunteered a lot of time with the local library book sale & enjoyed bunches of older garden mags before the sale. Gotta agree that age is relative-as I've entered my 50's there are some challanges, but you don't give a .... so much anymore about what people think, & that's kind of good too

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
Unknown seedling in with foxgloves
I planted foxgloves (digitalis), which are the small...
sandyslopes z5 n. UT
ws foxglove in 2liter
I'm a newbie and have been ws in 2liter bottles. For...
gardentherapy.
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
Help with sedum sprouts.
I posted on the succulent forum, but got no help. I...
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI
OK, Now that I have sprouts what do I do next
Should I water the little baby sprouts? When do I...
smokey28777
Sponsored Products
Rooster 'Welcome' Garden Stake
$12.99 | zulily
Modern Planter
$250.00 | Horchow
27" Smooth Verde Copper Planter - Verde Copper
Signature Hardware
Seagrass shallow bowls set/3
Origin Crafts
Apollo Bird Bath Decorative Garden Fountain
Lamps Plus