mass planting of Gooseneck

rouge21_gw(5)July 31, 2014

We were away earlier this week and at the hotel I noticed this impressive stand of "Gooseneck Loosestrife". I know it can be aggressive but it is pretty when it is in bloom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lesmc

Took me four years to get rid of mine! I agree, very pretty but it was out of controlâ¦eating my entire garden if left. Nice filler in bouquets, but had to go. Lesley

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 3:57PM
SunnyBorders(5A)

It is attractive, Rouge, but only on other people's property.

I found it easier to keep yellow loosestrife in line than gooseneck loosestrife.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 4:52PM
Campanula UK Z8

lysimachia atropurpurea 'Beaujolais' is enjoying a moment of fame in England. From relative obscurity, it is suddenly seen in all the 'right' gardens. Always amusing, the evolution of these little garden trends - last year, Totally Tangerine geum. I know I have been banging on about umbels - musta sniffed summat in the air because they are everywhere....or at least, no garden is complete without a swathe of orlaya (common as muck, annual. ) or cenolophium denudata ( 'refined' RHS stylee).
I might be tempted to grow them in the wood (but suspect thirsty tree roots are going to limit my options) - nonetheless, I have got seeds of lysimchia ephemerum on the go and also came back from my Scotland trip with a seedling of l.ciliata 'Fireworks' (or Firecracker?) - will grow it in the ditch with the hemp agrimony.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:27PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I saw a large patch of gooseneck loosestrife in a long entrance border at the MN Arboretum today. It was very attractive. I love the gooseneck blossoms and keep a small pot on my patio, deadheading to prevent seeding. Had the pot in the ground and it needed potting up as just ready to escape the pot. Thinking about getting a half barrel to grow it in.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 8:01PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

I had a friend who could grow all these aggressive, invasive things in her yard and they NEVER got out of control. I don't know how she did it. And she had a rather wild garden so it's not like she was obsessive about consciously keeping it controlled. Her garden was wild, but on the small side and contained within a specific area of her yard. She grew gooseneck loosestrife, chinese lanterns, aegopodium, Queen Anne's lace, spearmint, and even had bittersweet that seemed to stay in once place, on the fence. And her garden was so beautiful, if unstructured. It always amazed me.

But I loved it too because I could cut all the gooseneck loosestrife and QAL I wanted for my bouquets for market, but didn't have to grow it. We also made lovely bouquets and door ornaments in the fall using the chinese lanterns and bittersweet. She had all this stuff and so under control that I almost considered growing some of it myself. But I came to my senses in time! :)

Dee

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 8:21PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Maybe the thugs were so busy fighting it out that they kept themselves inline.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 9:02PM
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

So pretty. It isn't grown in my area of the country, unfortunately or fortunately.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:31PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It CAN'T grow in my area of the country.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
2015 Garden Resolutions
Each year for the past few I say that I am going to...
rouge21_gw
Dieing Elephant Ear?
I bought a Black Magic elephant ear about 4 months...
addisonf
What groundcover would you mix with Helleborus?
I'd like to plant a new bed of hellebores, but I'm...
magpiepix 5b/6a
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
spring things
replanted this as part of last years back garden renovation...
daves10z7annv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™