is my tree dying or diseased?

christypieMay 8, 2014

I don't know what kind of tree this is, b I noticed the bark peeling. Leaves have not started to bloom yet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

not much is budded out in my Adrian mi ...

maples are just flowering ...

i cant make anything of the pix ... i cant even tell what the top left is????

top right look like normal bark ...

not sure whats happening bottom left ... and the right one looks OK ...

ken

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 9:38AM
christypie

I just mentioned that the leaves haven't bloomed much yet because that means I can't identify the tree. The upper left is a huge area where the bark has peeled off completely, looks like some sort of tunneling on the base layer. Not sure why it's hard to see the pics. I see them just fine.

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 11:35AM
campv

Wow! With that kind of reply no one is going to want to help you!

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 11:50AM
Mackel-in-DFW

To all tree peeps-- I'm about to not just speak for myself, but for others with the same predicament:

Sometimes, anxiety/frustration/always being in a hurry easily comes accross as rudeness. I'm guilty of this, it's a shortcoming, I suppose. I try to stand up always for the little man. I'm not into bullies/false prophets/people who use their position to get others to "obey".

People that know me and who I speak with in person regularly, know that I have a very good heart; they know I have integrity, and can be trusted with their life. I have a very dry sense of humor, also, that works very well in person.

People that don't know me, for example friends of friends on facebook, are sometimes, initially, taken aback, by a "just the facts, ma'am" attitude, combined with an ironic/sardonic/devil-may-care humor.

(This might be due to being a scientist/geek, or I got it from my beloved German mother, for whom I admire a great deal. She escaped East Germany in the early sixties, with my brother, and had to stand up to the Stazi when caught on the way out-- I love you, Mom).

I try to be humorous to allay a tendency in the written form to be too blunt. Forgiveness is divine, and I am much less sensitive to people being blunt with me, in person or in writing, because I simply am not into "hypocrisy".

So, sometimes you got to give people a break, particularly when they're not full of it/sloppy with the facts or passionate/simply upset and in need of help.

To the OP- Yes, the tree has disease/pest problems. The challenging part is to find out the cause. Disease is almost always caused by some environmental factor, so call an ISA-certified arborist and be done with it.

M

P.S.- Thankyou all for letting me state my "strong opinion". You gotta know that us full-blooded Krauts simply can't help ourselves, sometimes. Understanding and keeping a loving attitude even with those who we may perceive as our "enemies", goes a long way towards serenity in life. That's what I believe, anyways.

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 2:06PM
christypie

Thank you for the information. Also, it was not my intention to come off rude by stating that I had no issue with seeing the pictures, as they show up large and clear on my screen, so I was trying to assess what the problem might be. I was typing on my phone and was keeping things "matter of fact". It doesnt mean Im rude, Im actually a quite cheerful and happy person. But I regress, thank you Mackel for the information.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 8:00PM
beng(z6 western MD)

My best guess without leaves or twig-closeups is an elm species. Chinese elm naturally sheds bark somewhat like that.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 6:40AM
More Discussions
Dual Leader Dawn Redwood?
I have a dawn redwood that I planted in April 2014....
Steve Gall
Question About Planting Dogwood Tree
I bought a nice looking pink dogwood tree today - about...
alameda/zone 8
Does anyone on here have a Cercis canadensis - Eastern Redbud Tree?
I want to get a couple of them. Are they wind tolerant?...
ilovemytrees
neighbor's willow tree (please help)
How do I convince my neighbor to get rid of the willow...
penaddict
Would windex overspray hurt dormant oak or metasequoia?
Was cleaning the windows outside with Windex today....
hairmetal4ever
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™