carding mill?

zone6-njJune 26, 2013

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well. I was in a garden center a few weeks ago and saw a beautiful rose that was orangish-pink and when i smelled it, it was amazing (sweet, kind of fruity, maybe a little myrrh?) and when i looked at the label it was one of those big austin labels saying it was carding mill. I would have purchased it on the spot if it wasn't $60, I figured I could buy it from David Austin himself for less than $30. Now, a few weeks later I saw carding mill located in a local rose garden, and that was very myrrh like when i smelled it. This threw me off completely. Anyway, I bought 2 from heirloom a few days ago. Was wondering, was the one in the garden center mislabeled? Does it have a sweet fragrance/change fragrance? I loved the scent in the garden center, not as much in the rose garden (even though I didn't hate it, just preferred the other scent more). Anyone with carding mill please give your thoughts on the fragrance/strength as well. Would be greatly appreciated.

Im in zone 6/northern jersey.

Have a good one,

Drew

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Hi Drew

I have two Carding Mill bushes and I'd describe the scent as mildly fruity without the intense myrrh of things like Scepter'd Isle, but I'm a notoriously unreliable nose. I certainly wouldn't class it as fragrant as Sharifa Asma or Wm Shakespeare 2000, but I find mine to be pleasant in the garden.

As far as growth habits, Carding Mill tends to be mostly upright and a moderate rebloomer for me. One of them fills the role of a small climber against a fence and hovers around 6' tall. The other stays around 4 feet with pruning in my zone, but is still upright. Hardy without any problems in zone 5, and better than average resistance to BS in my yard.

Cynthia

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:10PM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

My Carding Mill is only 2 yrs old but already one of my favorites. For me a nice mild, easy(?) fruity scent. It's about 10' from a well eastablished bush of Scepter'd Isle that has a heavy myrrh scent. There is a big difference between the scent of both bush's. Mine is own root and about 3' high and 2' wide. Beautiful clean foliage from top to bottom. In my garden it's a keeper.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 4:39PM
zone6-nj

Thanks a lot for the replies! Glad to know its the scent I smelled in the garden center. I received my 2 from heirloom today. Will be putting them in the ground soon. A quick note though, there were 3 bushes in the rose garden of CM, and the other two seemed healthy but one was covered in something (blackspot?) and looked weak. From what I heard though, the disease resistance is good with this rose, am I right? And I'm guessing it needs full sun? Unlike some other Austin's that wouldn't mind shade at parts of the day?

Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 10:12PM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

Mine is planted on the east side of my house along the front porch. It gets morning sun and by 1 PM it is shaded. It is just as happy as it can be. No blasting full sun that can cook or fade the blooms.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Partial Shade Miniflora
I am looking for some Minifloras that would be okay...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Roses from highcountry roses - really disappointed
I received my roses from highcountryroses today. It...
bluehaven_gweb
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Old Rose Seminar, May 2, 2015 San Juan Bautista, CA
By tomorrow, I hope to have this up on the Heritage...
jerijen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™