Mulching in slug country

jacqueinthegorge(USDA 8 / Sunset 5)August 12, 2014

I've just moved to an area famous for slugs. Several things I planted were slimed to death until I started using Sluggo regularly.

So I want to use mulch, and my old standby is straw, but I am afraid I will just be creating more slug habitat. I'd love to know what other people in slug territory use.

Edited to add - my soil is kind of gravelly/sandy, probably old glacial deposits.

Thanks!

This post was edited by jacqueinthegorge on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 2:49

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Slugs really like the cool, moist environment mulches create. All of us that mulch have slugs and we deal with them as we need to. I have found that cold caffeinated coffee sprayed on plant leaves is a good deterrent and saucers of stale beer is a good trap.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 6:06AM
jacqueinthegorge(USDA 8 / Sunset 5)

Thanks, I've heard of the beer traps, but never the coffee. Does a particular strength work best, and will the deterrent effect work through several rainstorms/waterings?

The last place I lived where the climate was conducive to slugs, I never had an issue. But I did have lots of ground beetles, and apparently they eat slug eggs. Haven't seen many ground beetles here...

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 5:04PM
elisa_z5

I've started waiting to mulch (I use hay) until the plants are a little bigger, and then the slugs either leave them alone or eat only the outside leaves and let the rest grow. But my area isn't known as a slug paradise, just medium slug-ness.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 7:32PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

I've used whatever was left in the pot but it does nerd to be reapplied after a rain or overhead watering since that will wash any coffee residue off.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:57AM
drmbear

I take the 20 oz plastic soda bottles, remove the lid, cut off the top part after the flair, turn it around into the bottle and staple it in place. I do use slug bait, but only in these bottle traps. I place these around the garden on their side. This way I am not spreading pesticide around. The slugs go in, but they don't come out.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 6:02PM
renais1

I also cut soda bottles and put the top part inverted into the bottom part. Rather than putting slug bait in, I put some water mixed with some sugar and yeast in. The slugs stand in line to get in. Sluggo also does a remarkable job on mulched areas. The recommended application rates are quite low, and I see a marked reduction in slugs and their damage immediately.
Renais

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
bread in compost
New to composting and confused now. What is wrong with...
jamb
Manure..?? or no Manure...??
that is the question... Lots of conflicting info re...
jedo_03
Bark (not dog)
What size should the bark "chunks" be to...
Gary Cotterill
Moldy fruit and breads okay for compost bin?
Are these okay to add to the bin? Won't the mold spread...
greengardener07
Kitty litter in compost
I use wheat kitty litter and we mostly flush it down...
yugoslava
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™