What's wrong with my Solomon's Seal?

SequoiaMatt99July 22, 2014

I'm not sure what's wrong with my Solomon's Seal. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

Do you have snails?!

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 7:03PM
SequoiaMatt99

I haven't seen any snails, but there are plenty of slugs in the nearby hostas. Could that be it? These don't look like the usual holes in the leaves, though.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 7:18PM
gardenweed_z6a

I sprinkle crushed eggshells around my hostas and other perennials the slugs seem to like. Slugs/snails won't crawl over the shells because they cut them.

I'm stumped looking at your Solomon's seal--have never seen that sort of damage on any of my perennials. Did you check the Missouri Botanical Garden website to see if they reference any known problems?

Here is a link that might be useful: Solomon's seal

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 8:33PM

I'm not sure how reliable this site is, but check out the picture at the link below....

Here is a link that might be useful: sawfly damage

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 8:47PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Solomon's Seal saw fly was my first thought. I've had it in the past sufficient to give up on SS.

BTW egg shells do not make any difference at all to the snails and slugs in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: SSSF

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 8:50AM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

"BTW egg shells do not make any difference at all to the snails and slugs in my garden."

And that makes perfect sense when you think about it. The only way a broken egg shell could act like a sharp razor is if the broken bits of shells were lined up, standing on end with the sharp end on top. Even if it were possible to do that, slugs and snails secrete a lot of slimy mucus as they crawl along. They simply glide right over the egg shells.

Kevin

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 9:07AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

I would suspect slugs. And, gardenweed, stop with the eggshells and try Sluggo or Escar-Go, both really work.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 9:46AM
SequoiaMatt99

Thanks everyone for the info. I will check to make sure no sawfly larvae are on my plants, spraying if necessary. Hopefully my plants survive the rest of the year.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 11:41AM
gardenweed_z6a

I don't have any complex scientific explanation for it but the crushed eggshells have successfully kept slugs off my 50+ hostas in various beds for the past 6+ years. Before I used the eggshells, my hostas were over-run & had lots of holes in the leaves; since using them, there are no longer holes in any leaves. It's organic, simple and apparently works...in my own garden anyway. I rest my case.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 7:48PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

If it works for you that's lucky and different conditions may well produce different results. Perhaps there are different types of slug and snail in your region. But In my damp climate they are ineffectual. This is my only Hosta. Note the egg shells.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 3:25AM
mjc_molie(z6 CT)

Floral_uk... what a depressing photo. Don't let any manufacturers of garden chemicals get their hands on that picture.... they'd use it as the "before" photo in their advertising.

Molie

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 8:40AM

I remembered this thread when looking at my Solomon's seal the other day! I've never had any problems with this sawfly pest before - but I sure do now! Yuk! I love my Solomon's Seal but I'm likely going to be evicting most of it this fall or in the spring. The big question now is what to replace it with..... Ferns are the obvious choice re appearance but some of the areas where the Solomon's Seal is are too dry for anything other than Christmas ferns. Last year I got a bunch from HD cheap at end-of-season sales so I'll have to watch for them there this fall. I'm not sure what else to consider - but I now clearly have a fall renovation/planting project!

Bookmark   August 31, 2014 at 2:28PM
sherrygirl zone5

My solomon' Seal looks like the bad ones pictured here. I have 2 clumps in my yard and one still looks beautiful. Some of my hostas have holes in the leaves also. No sawfly larvae here. Have never had these "problems" before. I want to attribute it to the EXTREMELY wet season where I live. It seems the slugs had a party.

Sherry

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 8:08PM
north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)

I did notice a few stems of solomon seal with similar damage this year. I will be very disappointed if this becomes a big problem. I've never had anything bothering my clumps, and I have quite a few. It would leave a big hole in my beds if I had to remove my SS. I don't recall slugs eating it either, but I do have lots of slug damage on other plants.

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 11:19PM
debbiecz3(z3MB)

I've had some damage to my Solomon Seal that looks similar that was caused by the Lily beetle. Another pest to consider.

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 11:20AM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

I have it too, but not throughout the entire plant. I would say the bottom 1/3 of the plants are most affected. It's been wet here this year, so I vote slug damage.

Kevin

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
lost blooms on azalea and hydrangea
It got below freezing last night and today I noticed...
southerngardening24
...at last! Snowdrops!
I was just looking out the living room window, wondering...
woodyoak zone 5 Canada
2015 Garden Resolutions
Each year for the past few I say that I am going to...
rouge21_gw
Will the Epimediums make it?
The epimediums ( I have about 20 different varieties)...
laceyvail
Dieing Elephant Ear?
I bought a Black Magic elephant ear about 4 months...
addisonf
Sponsored Products
Chooty & Co. Trade Winds Zippered Beads Foot Stool - Island Green - BP13S3822
$42.99 | Hayneedle
Virtu USA Bathroom Dior 90 in. Double Vanity in Zebra Grey with Pure Stone
Home Depot
Executive Lounge Chair & Ottoman in Black
$599.99 | Dot & Bo
15756BBR Brass 18.9 in Kichler 9 LED Hardscape Light with Bracket
EnvironmentalLights.com
Wood Desk Lamps: Deluxe Sunlight 22 in. Wood Grain Desk Lamp 72-1406
$39.99 | Home Depot
Designers Fountain Pendants & Hanging Fixtures Naples Hanging Outdoor Aged
Home Depot
Moller Side Chair 78 - Woven
Design Within Reach
Justice Design Group GLA-8921 - Modular 1 Light Wall Sconce - Square Flared Shad
$290.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™