how to deadhead coneflowers????

Prettypetals_GA_7-8July 27, 2009

Hi everyone, I bought a few coneflowers last year and a few this year and wondered if I am suppose to deadhead them and if so how you deadhead them?? Thanks for your help, Judy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paulan70(5)

When I dead head mine I just cut about the middle of the flower stalk.But if there is by chance another flower on the same stalk then I cut before the above the new flower if that makes sense. But I am leaving my coneflowers undead headed since so many of the birds love the seeds.

Paula

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 4:30PM
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

Thanks Paula! I haven't dead headed them any yet and I don't think they have put up any new stems or if they are even suppose to put up any new stems during the year. Does this make any sense?? It seems like they stay looking good for sooooo long and then they start turning brown and I wasn't sure what to do with the stem once the flower turned brown. I dead headed some daisies I bought hoping they might put up new stems too but they are just sitting there and I didn't want to make the same mistake with my coneflowers. I would rather leave the spent blooms for the birds if they aren't going to put out any new stems. Thanks a bunch, Judy

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 5:48PM
diggerdee

I deadhead some of mine by making bouquets! :)

The rest of them, I usually just leave for the birds and winter interest, etc. However, I had soooooo many volunteers this year that I may end up deadheading after all.

I would do what Paula does - cut down the stalk unless there are more buds. Then I would just cut down to above the new bud.

:)
Dee

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 8:46PM
a2zmom(6a - nj)

I plan to deadheadmost most of mine for the same reason Dee did. I didn't get a chance to do any deadheading last year and I now have lots (and lots and lots) of echinaceas to give away!

I usually deadhead to right above a leaf. It looks neater imo.

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 12:47PM
weeper_11(2b SK)

I deadhead mine the same way I deadhead most of my perennials that bloom most of the summer: cut the blooms off either to the leaf, or to a new bud, and continue to deadhead until it gets later in the summer and the blooms start to taper off. Once I think I'm on the last flush of blooms for the summer/fall, I leave the seed heads on and allow them to develop. I like to have a little bit of self-seeding going on, in case I need a few, and feed for the birds, etc.

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 3:34PM
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

Thanks everyone. I will deadhead to tidy up the bush a little and leave the rest for the birds for later. Thanks for your help. Judy

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 1:37PM
rosecorgis

I planted my first coneflowers this year. They've been great but now most of the blooms are ending. Here's my dumb question for the day. It looks to me like the new flower buds look similar to the old flower heads once the petals fall off. I want to deadhead to prolong the bloom time, but I can't tell the difference!! I know, stupid question! I'm not even sure that they will produce more flowers if deadheaded.

The one thing I did notice is that they might feel different -- are the new buds soft where the spent flowerheads are hard?

Last question, if I let it go to seed at the end of the season, can it produce new seedlings through mulch? I have the bed heavily mulched to retain the drip irrigation in our 90+ degree temps. I'd like to have more coneflowers next year. Should I consider raking the mulch away once the seedheads set? Any advice for my climate would be appreciated. We're hot and dry all summer and won't get any natural rain until November.

Debbie

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 11:42AM
ditas

Hi - Like Paula & Dee - I leave cones for the birds in Winter, as well & to me, so pretty in the snow with the birds looking like flowers busy pecking the seeds!!! By Spring they are practically devoured ... & to think that I have several bird feeders I maintain as well! Â;)

Debbie - These are learning forums that I found truly, generously helpful ... No ??? are stupid ... many of us, are forever newbies, so ask away!!! Someone in your zone, will soon chime in w/ better responses!

Have a great garden day!!!

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
How to ask Houzz a question?
When the switch over first happened I could easily...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Growing Yucca in container?
I seem to remember a member mentioning they were experimenting...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™