Pruning a Pitiful Dogwood

Jessica BrighamMay 13, 2014

Hey green thumbers !!

With the great help of Name That Plant forum peeps, I have confirmed what I have on our property is a Dogwood with lots of potential!

What I thought was the sprouting of some new tree, turned out to have these gorgeous 2.5 inch wide flowers. WOW!!! I was surprised considering this (somewhat unattractive) tree almost got chopped down.

Patience, grasshopper.

This tree is very twiggy and begging for a makeover. Does anyone have recommendations on how to bring this beautiful dogwood back to her rightful state?

Thanks for your help!!

Jessica

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jessica Brigham

Close-up of the pretty flowers!!

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 7:40PM
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it looks like a healthy young dogwood and should probably be left alone to grow and fill out on its own. Young specimens often look lopsided or lanky, and dogwoods appear to resent pruning. If you can live with it, try to limit your pruning to only the 3-D method (dead, damaged or diseased wood).

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 9:58PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

I agree - give it a few years and it'll look just fine, IMHO.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 10:41PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

This tree is very twiggy and begging for a makeover.

==>>> what is the latin name ...

you might be confusing a native dogwood... with its cousins ... the more foo ones.. pruned to within an inch of their lives by some wholesale grower ...

i agree it appears to be doing just fine the way it is ... i dont know why you would spend a lifetime of forcing it into a form that s not natural to it ...

though hard to tell on these pix.. i might lift the canopy from the ground... depending whether you need the space under .. though it appears you have plenty of room ... and wont be needing to mow under it.. or garden under it.. and if so.. why even bother doing that???

more thoughts on your goals.. other than your need to prune ... once you can state your goals... then how to do it.. becomes rather easy ...

ken

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 6:59AM
Jessica Brigham

All great info! Thanks so much everyone!

Ken �"àmy best guess is the tree is a native Flowering dogwood (Cornus florida). Initially I inquired to another forum about the variety before I made any choices on pruning. I didn't realize this is what a young, healthy dogwood looked like, so I'm going to let nature run its course and see what comes of her! I was mainly curious to know if I pruned her any particular way, if it would encourage more growth, etc. Thanks for your detailed reply!

Jessica

This post was edited by mrsbrigham on Wed, May 14, 14 at 7:46

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 7:37AM
More Discussions
Prunus mume are blooming in the South.
Pictures taken on February 3, 2015 at Wuhan (capital...
jujujojo_gw
my peach tree
My peach tree has bores or some type of insect in...
dbcaa
Spring pics
Couple spring pics on a rare mild day: Chinese elm...
beng12
How do I kill a very large tree discreetly?
I have a very large tree in my yard that just has to...
hpb1963
American elms seeds wanted
When we were discussing pruning the damaged elm, I...
jocelynpei
Sponsored Products
Gilmour Single Shut Off Aluminum Valve Connector - 1403-7964
$22.99 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Cadaley Prune
$52.97 | Home Depot
San Francisco 49ers Dish Gloves
$7.99 | zulily
Black Bamboo 6.5-foot Silk Tree
Overstock.com
John Richard Blue Dogwood Crackle Ceramic Table Lamp
Lamps Plus