Potted Saplings

PittsbirderMay 3, 2014

In early Dec. I was given 10 different saplings (dry root) from a friend who received them from the Arbor Day Foundation. Since it was too cold to plant outside, I planted them around the perimeter of a 10" pot where they've done very well, but only 7 survived. They have grown some, and are full of foliage. My question is how can I transplant them outside, now that the weather is warmer, without causing stress or death by disturbing the roots. I'm certain they are tangled among each other.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Put the whole pot in a bucket of water. Gently remove the pot. Then slowly and gently tease the plant roots apart. Repot or plant right away. Lift the plant out only when the receiving hole/pot is ready. Do not leave trees and roots laying out in the air to dry out. It will be a major setback and you could lose it on a hot, sunny day. Also do not leave them soaking in water more than a few hours. Good luck! What fun, all those new trees. (I also purchased 10 for $10 back in 2001 I think?)

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 8:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Probably do it sooner rather than later. The heat of summer is approaching.

Here are two of my arborday trees from a decade back and an Ilex something or other Holly that I am thinking is firewood.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
What does it mean if a tree is "vigorous"?
For example, "This tree tends to be less vigorous...
tlbean2004
Walnut tree in Berkeley?
I'm trying to find a walnut tree to draw in Berkeley...
terry94705
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
Beech tree in NJ
I am in the process of re-foresting my backyard with...
johniferous
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™