Floppy Kordes hybrid tea roses in containers

Ohiofem(6a Ohio)June 15, 2014

I grew a few hybrid tea roses in containers in the past three years, including Lasting Love and Perfume Delight. They grew from one-foot starts to to six feet tall and bloomed all summer on upright stems. This past record breaking cold winter killed them all in spite of being sheltered in an unheated garage. So, I bought three new Kordes hybrid teas from Roses Unlimited: Beverly, Grande Amore and Pink Enchantment. All three bloomed right after I got them and planted them in 15-gallon pots on May 8. Beautiful blooms, but the blooms were so large on the small plants, that they pulled the stems down to the ground. I used some bamboo stakes to try to keep the stems upright, but the blooms still drooped and faced the ground. None of the ones I grew before did anything like this. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for these roses or if there is something I can do to prevent it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

It's normal for so many roses, I wouldn't worry about it. Small own-root hybrid teas are usually going to be slow. Just keep staking until they can stand up. I have Pink Enchantment (Souv. de Baden-Baden) in 2nd year from 1-gallon. All canes were lost over winter, so it's still kind of pitiful. I removed the flower buds from the first flush and will stake as needed.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 1:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newroses

I would suggest that you keep nitrogen fertilizer at a low level so as not to encourage plant growth. On an own root young plant pinch back the stems so as to encourage lower breaks which will help form a bushy shrub with strong canes. it often takes a year of growth to form a nicely balanced plant from a one gallon container.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Questions about Blaze climbing rose
Hello. I am thinking of putting a Blaze climbing rose...
suz9601
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
vigorosa roses
As I continue my research on roses that will work in...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Climbing, spreading, purple roses?
Although I don't consider myself a rose aficionado,...
ilovegardening
What's wrong with my rose bush?
Can anyone please shed some light on what's wrong with...
alyong
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™