Maybe a good idea

Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)August 24, 2014

This episode of Growing a Greener World illustrates a very good idea about educating people, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: GGW 401

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toxcrusadr

I don't know if there is any connection, but this teacher from the South Bronx gave a TED talk in 2012 that blew me away. He talks about changing the way we think, in a lot of ways, and shows a lot of great photos of his inner city school kids growing food on roofs and just about anywhere. He's obviously very passionate about it.

http://www.ted.com/talks/stephen_ritz_a_teacher_growing_green_in_the_south_bronx

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 12:39PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The educational theory classes I took back in the 1960's said people learn better when more of the senses are involved in learning. Yet, today the most common form of teaching is the worst way to learn, the lecture.

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 7:25AM
FrancoiseFromAix

I read this book "Brain rules" (Medina) that explained that our human brains have evolved and are hardwired to learn as our ancestors hunters gatherers used to learn, which is while walking, moving and using all their senses. To be honest I found the book in a pile offered for free on a walkway in Cambridge, MA, so it was a pretty good bargain for a great book ;-) Well, whatever.

It is wonderful when one spreads knowledge like that, and does one's share to change the world. Teaching young generations is important.

Kimmsr, not only teaching ways are not always adapted to our brains, but our working environments are not either : cubicles with sitting human beings in artificial light and artificial temperatures are pretty much a nightmare.

On a more positive side, the ways young ones are taught in your country is far more better than here, where guilt, terror, coerciveness, and respect of the older teacher (even when he's a useless bugger) are the main tools to keep a classroom quiet and, obviously, listening, understanding, remembering ;-) Not to mention loving it all along ;-)

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Bark (not dog)
What size should the bark "chunks" be to...
Gary Cotterill
No till garden/no weeds?
Is there a good way to keep weeds down in an established...
hummersteve
Weeds and pollinators
Spring is just around the corner, uh huh yes it is,...
kimmq
Berm and Top Soil/Tilling?
I plan on creating a low berm - about 6 inches tall...
Bob Sislow
Frozen compost
Ok so the deep freeze here in nj is not letting up...
jrupjr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™