Something really ordinary and really beautiful

aachenelf z5 MplsJuly 8, 2014

When I noticed this in the garden today, it kind of took my breath away because I thought it was so lovely with the sun shining on the flowers.

You probably grow it, have grown it or at least know someone who grows it. Sedum album - that kind of nondescript ground-hugging succulent with the tiny, greenish-red leaves which is almost weed-like and impossible to get rid of without a lot of effort. You can't hoe it out of the ground because every little piece will grow into a new plant. It creeps everywhere, but when it blooms it's rather worth it all IMO.

If you're still unsure what the plant looks like, in the first photo, look at the base of that cluster of Hen & Chicks in the bottom near-center. You'll see some of the reddish green foliage of the sedum.

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TexasRanger10(7)

Thats nice spilling over the wall & I like ordinary best.

What is the blue grass?

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 5:48PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

That is Helictotrichon sempervirens or Blue Oat Grass. My favorite and most useful grass. I use it lots.

Kevin

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 6:56PM
catkin(UDSA Zone 8)

Very pretty, Ken.

What's the mature height of your blue oat grass? I'm lovin' that, too!

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 10:41PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I feel the same when my Red Dragon sedum edging one area is in bloom. Never know when beauty is going to catch me.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 12:09AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

It's pretty...in a wild way :)

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 10:06AM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

catkin - The grass is about 15 inches tall.

mnwsgal - Red Dragon has been on my list to buy for a while now. It would be nice to see a photo of yours if you have it.

I'm starting to realize a lot of these low growing, ground cover-type Sedums can be quite lovely and I think I need more of them. Plus they bloom before the taller ones which is nice.

Kevin

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 11:50AM
GreenHearted(5a IL)

I adore sedums and have quite a few but no S. album. Your pictures are convincing me that I am missing out.

Great placement too!

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 1:56PM
catkin(UDSA Zone 8)

Excuse the incorrect name, Kevin.

Thanks for the grass info. Do you grow Sedum 'Angelina'? I have some to put in the ground--looks promising! Check out its image. It changes color through the season.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 2:50PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

I've got a little patch spilling over my rock-lined path in the back. Its very unassuming until it starts to bloom, that's for sure! Very floriferous sedum.
CMK

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 3:01PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

catkin - Yep I have Angelina. It's slowing taking over a bed which I wanted it to do. It even bloomed this year!

Kevin

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 3:35PM
GreenHearted(5a IL)

Love Angelina... it does tend to pop up in unexpected places but very easy to remove. Can't beat how easy it is to propagate :) I have never seen her bloom! What color Kevin?

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 3:48PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Here you go:

This one is just about done blooming, but the flowers aren't all that attractive - plus they are very sparse - plus most of the flowers are on stems a good 9-10 inches above the plant.

Kevin

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 4:29PM
GreenHearted(5a IL)

Thanks for the posting the pic Kevin... interesting flowers. They look a sort of lemon-lime color. Do you have it in part shade? The foliage is more green than mine.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 5:12PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

A little bit of shade, but mainly hot, afternoon sun. I noticed the stems hanging over the mulch are greener than the rest of the plant which is very yellow.

Kevin

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 6:42PM
lilsprout

I have lots of Angelina. I'm not fond of the blooms either as I think it takes away from the plant. I always trim them off, which is quite a job since I have so much. Looks much tidier. I really like it for a splash of color and texture here and there...and everywhere lol.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 10:01PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Sorry, Kecin, no photo, probably because it is so ordinary. Another thing I like about Red Dragon is that it gets more red in more sun. It is also easy to control. No photos now as the creeping thyme around it is in bloom obscuring the sedum. When creeping thyme bloom starts to fade I will cut it back. Will try to remember to take photos and post later.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 11:25PM
david883(5/6)

Very nice! It looks (and, from the sounds of it, behaves) very similar to my Sedum Humisifusum. My partner's mom gave me a little snippet of this two years ago. It was no more than 2 inches. Its about 2 sq ft now and I just found another patch growing in a totally different part of the yard. I like this one's flowers, though. They sort of remind me of Sedum Matrona's flowers when they start out. Thanks for sharing!

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 6:21AM
GreenHearted(5a IL)

I have 'Voodoo' and it is quite red in full sun. Very striking when it's covered in bright pink blooms.

david, I looked up S. humisifusum -- adorable! Looks like it has a nice, tight habit.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 11:37AM
catkin(UDSA Zone 8)

Yay for the Angelina! Planted two yesterday. May have to put some in shade...is there a 'Brad'? :~)

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 3:48PM
lilsprout

Lol Cat!

Don't forget all the seedling too.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 4:27PM
Campanula UK Z8

Mmm, I consider 'beautiful' to have utility and vigor. A plant, any plant, which is well grown and appropriate (as this is), always looks beautiful to me... right plant, right place is a gardening truism, yet it took me years to break a habit of growing totally random (unsuitable) plants

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™