Anyone Know How To Kill Tallow Trees?

alameda/zone 8May 10, 2009

I have lots of these pests that I want to erradicate. I had one cut down and had notches cut into the truck and big roots then poured disel all over it. It is growing back. I have tried brush killer and am out of ideas. Anyone know what I can use to kill these nuisances? Thank you!

Judith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamatreehugger(8)

I used a cordless drill and Ortho Brush-B-Gone. Drill holes around the trunk at a downward angle, then use a big syringe to inject the full strength herbicide. After about two or three weeks you should be able to see wilting at the top of the tree. It may take the rest of the year for the whole tree to die though.

I'll admit there have been a few really stubborn ones that I had to treat two and three times.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 9:21PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Pouring diesel fuel all over the place? What a nightmare!

Applying a broad-spectrum systemic herbicide like glyphosate (Roundup, etc.) or triclopyr amine (Brush-B-Gon, etc.) to the freshly cut cambium should produce excellent results. These products should be applied without adding water (for instance Roundup is commonly sold as an 18% concentrate, which would work great). Herbicide applied to the heartwood (either in holes much deeper than the cambium or applied to the inner surface of the stumps will not help to kill the tree's root system. The chemical mush enter the tree's vascular system to be effective. A single application of these chemicals, done right, is usually enough to completely kill a tree. For really determined stumps, a second treatment to the sprouts (before they get very large) may be needed to finish the job.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 9:17AM
alabamatreehugger(8)

Glyphosate is pretty much useless on Tallow trees, these trees are like the deep south version of Ailanthus. Triclopyr will be needed here.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 12:49PM
alameda/zone 8

Another post mentioned Remedy, which my feed store has. I will also try the Brush B Gone, full strength. I had never thought of using it full strength. Is it best to cut the tree or saplings down first, then apply the product or spray it on the leaves? I have lots of them to kill, mostly young trees that will need to be felled with a chain saw. It would be easy to follow my helper, who is cutting them, and I will come behind him and spray the stumps. Is this workable? Thanks much!
Judith

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 1:03PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Judith, sounds good. I don't know about the Brush-B-Gon, but Roundup (glyphosate) is labeled to use full strength as described. I bet Brush-B-Gon is also. I think the Treehugger's glyphosate must have been old. It should work just fine against tallow trees. It certainly takes care of the tree of heaven he mentioned. I believe that Remedy is triclopyr ester and should be similar to Brush-B-Gon. Any of these three types of herbicides should do the job very well if applied immediately and correctly.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 1:43PM
samnsarah620_yahoo_com

Thank you, alabamatreehugger. I drilled several 3/4" holes in a straight line around a large Tree of Heaven growing in my back yard, and I used a funnel to pour the Ortho Tough Brush Killer into each hole. After 3 - 4 days I am already seeing wilting in the lower branches. Hopefully in 3 - 4 weeks the tree will be showing serious signs of dying. If this works, I only have three more Tree of Heaven's to go... (sighs). Hopefully, all that will be needed to do next summer is to cut the dead trees down and remove the stumps.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™