Bacterial Canker

leftontheinside(5b)May 13, 2014

This actually reminded me of the first signs of black knot then got me thinking it might actually be bacterial canker.

Anyway to confirm what it is if anything?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

what is the tree... i am guessing prunus ...

if so.. frankly .... i consider it untreatable ... its endemic to the family ... and you can waste a lot of money, time and chemicals.. trying to fix it.. and never do so ... [though there are a lot sellers willing to sell you all the goo you want]

it could take decades for the tree to fail ... or not.. who knows ...

but it usually boils down for me.. to spending say $100 to TRY TO CURE IT...

or spending $30 to replace it.. if and when it ever does fail ... or better yet.. choosing something outside the family ... and avoiding it completely ...

another option is to spend the money on a replacement of some other type.. now... and when the time comes.. simply remove this one ... this way.. your replacement has a leg up on the process and you wont have a big hole in your landscape ...

pic of the whole.. and an ID .. if you want more than speculation ...

ken

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 11:17AM
leftontheinside(5b)

There appears to be a double callus so it may be trying to fight off what appears to be canker but need to accurately diagnose. Thought I give it a shot on this forum before having a tree company come over to evaluate.

I was focusing on a diagnosis (or key things to look for) not an action plan on treatment or replacment. One item I plan to look for this summer is any amber colored ooze.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 12:25PM
leftontheinside(5b)

Sorry, thought I bump this up once as it was bumped down without the question being answered.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 8:54PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Usually you'll see more sunken tissue if its Canker. However something doesn't look right with the damaged tissue. Can't say for sure what it is.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 11:03PM
More Discussions
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™