Is this the Rosetta virus???

tigerloverosesJune 4, 2014

R my roses doomed???.please let me know what u think

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

We are probably going to need some more sharply focused images with less cluttered background. Also need to know where you live and what is the rose's name, if you have that.

Thanks
Michael

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 2:11PM
bobbyb123(6b)

From what I see from picture provided, I would say no. It could however be sucker growth, but a better picture would be helpful.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 4:38PM
seil zone 6b MI

I hope you don't mind my righting your photo. I blew it up and looked at those canes and that looks like perfectly healthy new growth to me, not Rose Rosette Disease. MANY roses have red colored new growth that gradually turns green as it matures. That new growth doesn't show any signs of distortion or hyper thorniness. Except for a little sawfly damage on the bottom left your rose looks very healthy!

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 4:39PM
tigerloveroses

Thank you for the answers.that specific photo is not very good.its a knock out rose,and it's next to a multiflora wild rose(which I destroyed today)

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 10:14PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I would like to see a few more photos--and from different angles. I just don't know--something doesn't look quite right to me in that photo.

At least, keep a close eye on it for the next month or so--just in case.

I hope my uneasy suspicions are misplaced!

Kate

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 9:04AM
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois

Sorry to post late to this, but I was wondering how that rose bush is doing. I see things that are not right but I'm no expert. Some of my rose rosette looked a lot like that when it was just beginning. Crinkled up turn leaves, some odd shaped leaves, a lot of branching on far left. Seems like knock outs will bud at the end of the branch before side branching occurs. Hope your rose is fine and hope you kept an eye on it.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 10:53PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

I think what bothers us (and you) was that the new growth stayed red a lot longer that we are accustomed to it being reddish.

FWIW, on local sick Knockouts, the sick canes are blooming out of sync with the healthy canes right now.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 9:52AM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Yes, are the canes looking more normal at the base? Turning green with normal leaves?

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 9:59AM
kidhorn(7a MD)

One of the symptoms of RRD in my yard is sometimes the canes look unusually smooth and rubbery. Your canes look smooth and rubbery to me. Not a definitive symptom, but something to keep an eye on.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 11:54AM
tigerloveroses

Hi all....I panicked and pulled out that rose,and a multiflora wild rose that was growing near by..the other roses seem to be ok thank god.one thing is for sure..no more knock outs for me! Never liked them much anyway.the virus is out there though.seen a few wild roses with them.on many landscaping projects in front of malls etc,there are rows and rows of knock outs half dead.ill upload more pics tomorow

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 1:03AM
seeingreen

Knockout's are not any more prone to catching RRD than other roses. There is just higher percentage of Knockouts planted because of their popularity. So it looks like more Knockouts come down with RRD than other roses.
If you go to Blog talk radio and enter rosechat they have episodes on the subject...plus it's a great show if you'r a rose lover :D

This post was edited by seeingreen on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 16:33

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Julia Child for Pacific Northwest garden
I am on Vancouver Island and would love to add Julia...
Blueisland BC Pacific NW-Z8
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses...
bluehaven_gweb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™