Archiduc Joseph

bart_2010(8/9 Italy)June 12, 2014

I'm planning to re-do an area of my garden,in which I have a large plant of Archiduc Joseph, the tea rose. I moved it about two years ago to this spot, due to another garden make-over,but chose the wrong spot. Now, I'm wondering if it's worth my while to move it yet again, or just to shovel prune it. It's a fairly mature plant,but I have never really fallen in love with it. It was very nice for a year or two,lots of flowers (unfortuneately rather spoiled by a beetle invasion),of a nice orangey-pink,but this year the flowers were ugly, an unpleasant russety magenta,for the most part. I realize that the soil in this area is very bad (another reason to move it: so I can work on the soil with greater ease). But is it worth trying to re-establish such a large,mature plant? It's not a rare rose or anything...any opinions to help me decide?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

I bought a band a few months ago and pretty much just put it right in the ground. it is near where the old chicken coop was years ago so guessing that soil has some extra oomph, but it is growing like a weed.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Help me choose a climbing rose please?
Here is my order..lol - I need a rose that is light...
gardenbug
Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...
After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen...
roseseek
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™