Artemesia 'Silver Mound' looking scruffy..any remedy?

prairiemoon2 z6 MAJuly 30, 2008

Hi,

I have three Artemesia 'Silver Mound' that are planted along side Dianthus. I can see I didn't give things enough room and they are bumping up against each other a bit, but still, I think they should be looking great with the steady amounts of rain we have been having and good drainage and full sun that they have. But they are getting a little leggy and floppy and opening up in the middle. I know I killed one once, by cutting it back just about to the ground and I don't want to do that. Is there anything else I can do?

pm2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

They do that....and they will eventually crawl into the middle of other plants.
That's why I pulled them out and don't grow them any more.
You can diminish the flopping open thing by cutting them back in the spring....but I don't like the way they smell.
Sorry, not my favorite plant, if you need soft gray plants, try lambs ears.
Linda C

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 7:35PM
cosmolover(5 Downest Maine)

I have a couple silver mounds and I actually just cut mine back last week as they were getting really floppy. I cut mine to about and inch from the ground and it already has new greenery coming up. Also, you can dig up the mound and divide after cutting back too as I find the smaller plants do better and don't flop so bad. I have always had them and love them.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 8:59PM
duluthinbloomz4

There's still enough time to give Silvermound a "haircut" and have it regenerate quite nicely. Like cosmo, I cut one back to within an inch two weeks go and it'll be a nice small mound again quite shortly. I divide them fairly often and the divisions never miss a beat.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 10:04PM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

lindac - if it creeps, it's not Silver Mound... SilverMound doesn't creep at all.

It does need regular haircuts though. Anytime mine gets more than 3-4" tall, I whack it back to 2-3" and that keeps it a nice low mound all summer. I probably have to give them a haircut once every 6 weeks or so.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 7:26AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I was out looking at it this morning and the lower 4 inches or so are bare. If I cut it to bare stems...?? That is what I did the last time and there was no regrowth and it never came back in the spring. Am I just supposed to trim it to where there is foliage? I am picturing how awful that would look.

pm2

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 10:12AM
duluthinbloomz4

It's been MY experience with Silver Mound that it can be cut back to any point you want. When they are really flopping, merely cutting off an inch or two all the way around won't help it much. If you feel a little timid with it, cut it back to the 4" mark where the bare stems start. Yes, it will look bare for a coule of weeks, but then the new growth will start and fill in the bare sticks and mound up again.

I've always had mine in full sun, decent but not overly rich soil with good drainage. They get good sized and flopping is minimal. I've put divisions here and there around the gardens, and any that tend to get shaded by other plants, don't mound as well and reach for the sun. So, they end up back in open ground.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 12:21PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thanks all...Woody, I think that is a good idea to keep them short. I will try that next year. I have four of them, so I may try to cut one all the way back again and cut the other one back keeping some growth on it and see how they do. I was just remembering that the one I lost, I bet I cut it back too late in the fall.

:-)

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 1:42PM
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

In the Well-Tended Perennial Garden, Tracy recommends cutting down half the plant at a time if a hard haircut seems like it might be too stressful for the plant. Cut down one side of the plant, wait for it to grow back, and then cut down the other side.

I've done this to plants with bare legs and it worked well. I don't have any experience with Artemesia, though.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 2:56PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thanks ladychroe...I cut half the plants back today and will wait for that side to fill in before cutting the other side. I liked that idea!

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Agapanthus - where to buy?
I want to grow Agapanthus - the white one. Anyone know...
bluehaven_gweb
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
daves10
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™